Tortoises and their predators

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hello,

I am researching the addition of a tortoise to our family. We are in Southern California in a cozy beach town. Our yard has the perfect spot for a tortoise pen and is already walled in on 3 of the 4 sides. My question is regarding predators. We have the following in our neighborhood:

1. Raccoon
2. Opossum
3. Hawk
4. Coyote
5. Dogs

We would obviously create a secure pen with a lockable top, but is there any size tortoise that these types of animals would leave alone like a larger species? Or are they all potential prey?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Not necessarily true prey but a dog will chew on a tort no matter the size. You always have to have a dog-proof home for them. Luckily that generally excludes the other predators too!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good prep work!

Make your top out of a strong frame (2x2's or 2x4's) and hardware mesh. 1/2" if you are worried about rats too.
Dig the 4th side down at least 12", I would say and line with pavers on their sides to create an underground wall). Or line the bottom of the enclosure with galvanized mesh and back will with a few inches of gravel, then 12" of topsoil.

And there is the option of bringing the tortoise inside at night, but the tortoises sometimes find this an annoying option. ;)

Technically, all reptiles are potential prey. However, tortoises are cold blooded, so not as easy to spot by wild predators as, say, chickens.
Dogs like all tortoises.
And, if you choose a Mediterranean tortoise, who eat mainly weeds, it is easier to keep the area free of tempting foods. (As opposed to protein eaters like Redfoots or box turtles).

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Can you tell us the size of the tortoise pen?
I think I would always be concerned, at night with Coyotes and Raccoons, both if which we also have.
Hawks and crow's are going to grab the youngsters, but once they are larger, the birds are not a big concern.
Do you have a lot of fog?

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Hi Kathy,
First I have to tell you that I lived in Walnut from the ages of 4 to 10! Lots of memories :)
The pen would be about 6'x6'. I would extend it to 20' if we go with a larger tortoise. If I go with a baby, I would keep it indoors for at lease a year. We do have fog at certain times of the year, but not excessively so. I would set up the pen with a ceramic heat bulb for cooler days or nighttime warmth. Right now we are averaging high 70's to mid 80's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my tortoises live outdoors 24/7/365. Every night I go around and make sure everyone is inside their individual sheds and I close the doors. The only ones I can't lock up are the box turtles, but I make sure they are all dug down into the leaf pile and that no one is left out in the open.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
REALLY? Geez. I hate thieves!
Is it best to keep them indoors when you are away, and only put them in an outdoor pen when you are home to keep any eye on them?
which city are you at ? it depends. i m in newport beach area, i left my tortoise out all day without anyone at home. so far so good

Last edited:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi Kathy,
First I have to tell you that I lived in Walnut from the ages of 4 to 10! Lots of memories :)
The pen would be about 6'x6'. I would extend it to 20' if we go with a larger tortoise. If I go with a baby, I would keep it indoors for at lease a year. We do have fog at certain times of the year, but not excessively so. I would set up the pen with a ceramic heat bulb for cooler days or nighttime warmth. Right now we are averaging high 70's to mid 80's.

Wow! I do love Walnut! Sounds like you live in a great beach area. Very nice!
One of my favorite tortoises, is the Calif. Desert Tortoise. We adopted our's from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society. There are many youngsters here in Los Angeles needing adoption.
Your pen would be great for many species of tortoises.
I would just lock it in a heated house at night or, as you said, bring it in.
Keep us posted!

Hix2008

5 Year Member
All of my tortoises live outdoors 24/7/365. Every night I go around and make sure everyone is inside their individual sheds and I close the doors. The only ones I can't lock up are the box turtles, but I make sure they are all dug down into the leaf pile and that no one is left out in the open.
Would love to see pictures of your enclosures?

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
This is really helpful info, thanks so much!

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
which city are you at ? it depends. i m in newport beach area, i left my tortoise out all day without anyone at home. so far so good
We are in San Clemente. Our backyard is kind of hidden so I don't think theft would be as big an issue as predators, which is why a secure enclosure is super important to me.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Wow! I do love Walnut! Sounds like you live in a great beach area. Very nice!
One of my favorite tortoises, is the Calif. Desert Tortoise. We adopted our's from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society. There are many youngsters here in Los Angeles needing adoption.
Your pen would be great for many species of tortoises.
I would just lock it in a heated house at night or, as you said, bring it in.
Keep us posted!
Well, I saw a 3 month old Leopard at Reptropolis, a reptile store in town, and fell completely in love. I started doing research and they sound like they are for a more advance keeper. So I am now considering a Hermann's or a Greek, but I still love the idea of a fully grown Leopard wandering around the backyard!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
but I still love the idea of a fully grown Leopard wandering around the backyard!

Adopting an adult leopard could be a great way to enjoy a backyard roaming tort without the delicate baby stages. ;)

I also locked all my torts into "tort houses" at night. In the evening before dark I made my rounds to lock the doors. Open them in the morning. I still do that for my leopard who sleeps in a heated house.

Heated for a Leopard
vyw8kz.jpg

Used for a CDT
30jkap4.jpg

Used for a Russian- see it in the back?
2yk1176.jpg

hope this helps :)

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Rats, I had a toad that was living out in my backyard for the last couple of years was eaten by a rat one night and left the bones behind. I did kinda got attach to the toad since i saw him ever night sitting on our patio. I saw the rat climbing around on the top of our fence the night before.