Tortoises and chicken poop

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
With the weather getting a little nicer I took the tarp off my tortoise and box turtle enclosures. A few minutes later my chickens were walking around on top of the hardware cloth that covers it. if they poop, which chickens have been known to do often :) is it harmful to my Russian tortoise or box turtle? I really don't know how to keep the chickens off of it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I guess I will have to get creative and figure out a way to keep them off of it. They have free roam of the backyard most of the time. I don't really want to "coop them up" if I don't have to. I have some extra chicken wire laying around that I plan to use to keep them out of the garden so I guess I will just make another ring around the tortoise and turtle pens.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They were out there a little bit late last fall. The enclosure has been covered all winter. And it will be a while before I have my tortoise and box turtle out there. Is there anything I should do before I put them back in? Will the sun and rain help to dilute it enough if there is any poop in there? I have not seen any on the wire or anything but you know that doesn't mean anything.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Its the parasites in the poop that leaches into the ground the tort eats the dirt and picks up something. I'm no expert but I have had chickens and will again I just clean up and keep apart. Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Plus isn't chicken poop high in nitrates? Maybe it is time to turn them from layers to roasters? just a thought.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am glad you brought this up. I was going to use it as fertilizer before I planted. Is that the same for horse manure?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for the info everybody. No I am not going to make chicken soup. I will figure out a way to keep The chickens off the enclosures. It will be a couple months before I can put them out there anyway. Thank God for chicken wire.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thanks for the info everybody. No I am not going to make chicken soup. I will figure out a way to keep The chickens off the enclosures. It will be a couple months before I can put them out there anyway. Thank God for chicken wire.

I am with you. I love my chickens.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am with you. I love my chickens.
I am definitely not a farmer, I have no intentions of eating these chickens when they're done laying eggs. I will have to find a chicken retirement home. I don't know how many years chickens lay eggs but I guess I will find out. They just started Lane in the Cember. They did not read the book that says they don't lay eggs in the winter if you do not provide light or heat. but none of my other animals ever read the books either. So I'm used to having strange animals that don't seem to follow any of the rules.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I love chicken as well, wait never mind, besides it was just a suggestion.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love chicken as well, wait never mind, besides it was just a suggestion.

lol i thought you were going to say I love chickens as well in chicken soup.

I love to eat chicken but its once you name them and they come running to you every time they see because you have goodies I just can't do it.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am definitely not a farmer, I have no intentions of eating these chickens when they're done laying eggs. I will have to find a chicken retirement home. I don't know how many years chickens lay eggs but I guess I will find out. They just started Lane in the Cember. They did not read the book that says they don't lay eggs in the winter if you do not provide light or heat. but none of my other animals ever read the books either. So I'm used to having strange animals that don't seem to follow any of the rules.

Mine lay in the winter too with no heat and extra lights. I am curious what kind of chickens do you have? I have Barred Rocks.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This is why I rehomed all my chickens to a friend
. It works out good . I get free eggs and don't have to feed them . If you build your chickens a run and clip their wings they will stay put .
That could be an option. But the person who helps me build things doesn't know it yet, but is going to help me enlarge my box turtle enclosure this year. Asking for a large chicken coop and run might to be asking a little too much. But if my chicken wire boundary doesn't work then I may have to look into that. The chickens are fun, they make ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423966595.061555.jpghere's a few of them hanging out in the backyard.a nice little addition to my little zoo.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Parasites are so irritating. To think that two out of every four organisms on the planet are parasites. It's really a parasitic world.

T.G.