Tortoise with children

jodie bary

Hi I've just seen if a child is under a year the tortoise should be outside .Is this true? we have had our a tortoise a little over a year and learning all the time .Thank you In advance .

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I think they are saying if you have a baby in the house that your tort should live outside. If that's what you're saying then that's not correct. I just wouldn't let the baby play with the tort, keep the tort in its enclosure, and make sure you wash up after you touch the tort.

jodie bary

Yes sorry the question wasn't clear . The baby doesn't go near the tortoise and my older children always wash there hands once they've handled him . They love to help bath him .
Thank you for replying I'm new to the forum .

Alicia Hoogstra

I have a licensed Childcare and my torts are part of our STEM learning. We give her soaks, we are growing their food, learning about where they come from, and we talk about their growth. The kids age 4 or older can very gently pet their shells, but the kids under four are only allowed to watch (in awe I might add). They LOVE them and I am able to share the love and responsibility of caring for all types of animals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I second everything. However, if the baby or anyone under one or of any age really touches the tort, just wash their hands.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe was around decades before my kids were born and grew up with him. They're both in their 20s now.

They'll learn that your tort isn't a toy to be played with and the hand washing thing is common sense regardless of what pet you own or your age.

Watch out for the more excitable friends when they arrive on play dates in the years to come. Your kids will know, but you will be the one with authority. :)

jodie bary

Thank you for all your replys . It's really put my mind at rest . Our tortoise is only 4 and still quite small so my 3year old and 6 year old are more observers than anything else as we wouldn't want to hurt him .