Tortoise weight

Georgec

Was told that i can check if my tortoise is enough fed for the winter , by checking its weight ... is that true ? Where i can get a chart about the proper weight ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The Jackson ratio only works for larger Greeks. It should not be used for young animals.

Assuming you have a young animal, you are looking for steady weight gain, but probably slower than you will see in summer.

For mature tortoises, assuming your tort is a healthy weight (see Jackson ratio) then you are simply looking for that tortoise to keep a steady weight.

Georgec

So i have a two and some years old greek with 135 mm lenght and 383 gr weight.. he is asleep in the backyard in a cave like pot .. he found it himself.. jackson ratio is 0.16.. is that bad or is he too young to use the jackson ratio??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So i have a two and some years old greek with 135 mm lenght and 383 gr weight.. he is asleep in the backyard in a cave like pot .. he found it himself.. jackson ratio is 0.16.. is that bad or is he too young to use the jackson ratio??
Jackson ratio doesn't work until a tortoise reaches 500 grammes at least.

Georgec

I keep his outside in his natural habitat.. thought that is the appropriate thing to do since he is local

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So ill consider the result to be missleading?? or i should overwinter him using heating pads and uvb fluorence light?
The result is misleading. If you don't hibernate him, he needs a proper basking lamp and a UVB source.

The temperature must be 35C (95-100F) directly under the basking lamp.

Overnight the temperature must not drop below 60F/15C. If you need extra heat, get a Ceramic Heat Emitter and use it with a thermostat.

Heat pads are not suitable