Tortoise swimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central TX
And I thought they would drown! Cute though. Should I try it with my baby tortoises?

Sardinecan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sure they can swim. In the wild they do swim from time to time. However unlike aquatic turtles, they need to find land once they are tired or they'll drown.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would NOT recommend you try that with yours...
There is a video on here with Aldabras swimming.. But stories about drowning Sulcatas and leopards etc...

Shawn and Dianne

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
There was a Burmese brown tortoise (Manouria emys emys) at a zoo I used to work at that would take a swim almost everyday in a rather deep pond. She would make a couple of laps around and then crawl out with no problem. Everyone was so scared the first time they saw it, but she was completely safe, and very fun to watch.

Sardinecan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You could put them in a deep bowl of water for a few minutes under supervision. Personally I wouldn't try it with the baby tortoises. I've learnt it the hard way. When I was a kid & thought star torts were aquatic & put one in a fish tank. Unfortunately the poor tort drown.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
It probably got tired. I was wondering since they are so heavy, like the adult leopard on the website I attached, what is it that makes them float.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
shelber10 said:
are they free

Are you asking if the leopard in the video that is in the pond is someone's pet or wild? It belongs to Steve Spitzer. He has a pond in his leopard tortoise habitat and the tortoise doesn't really swim, it goes into the water and floats because of the air inside it. It moves its legs to get from one side of the pond to the other, and is able to climb out on its own because the sides of the pond aren't steep. If it weren't able to climb out, it would eventually drown.

Yvonne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Isn't that swimming?
Leopards are well documented swimmers.
Ed

emysemys said:
shelber10 said:
are they free

Are you asking if the leopard in the video that is in the pond is someone's pet or wild? It belongs to Steve Spitzer. He has a pond in his leopard tortoise habitat and the tortoise doesn't really swim, it goes into the water and floats because of the air inside it. It moves its legs to get from one side of the pond to the other, and is able to climb out on its own because the sides of the pond aren't steep. If it weren't able to climb out, it would eventually drown.

Yvonne

luieluiehus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Northern Cali
YES! tourts can swim for sure... or my sulcata can.
it definatly took him some time to get used to it and get the idea
i just held him at first to make sure he wouldnt go under
i think you should definatly try it. My tort LOVED it and i loved swimmin with him as well.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
Isn't that swimming?
Ed

And monkeys are well documented astronaut.

Just because they dont sink to the bottom doent mean you should put them into deep water.

luieluiehus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Northern Cali
Redfootedboxturtles said:
-EJ said:
Isn't that swimming?
Ed

And monkeys are well documented astronaut.

Just because they dont sink to the bottom doent mean you should put them into deep water.

females are well documented you know whats. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.