Tortoise stopped eating, how can I tell if he's sick

Mys

My tortoise hasn't been eating lately, even when he's awake and walking around. Is this normal behavior or should he see a vet. Is it the food? What's the best plan to see if he's sick?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum @Mys .

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure, so as to enable us to help you.

Torts do not like change. They take time to get adapt to a new: place, enclosure, climate, and so on. How long have you had your tort? Am asking as that could be the case.

Mys

He's been living here for 5 or 6 months

Attachments

• 1504468559783-859401354.jpg
    1504468559783-859401354.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24

Jabon

Utah
A couple weeks have passed since you posted, were you able to get him to eat? How's he doing?

Mys

We changed his diet a little bit, and a new heat bulb, actually a few degrees cooler. I read tortoises bury themselves to collections down (can someone verify?), Wich is what he was doing. So we adjusted and he seems to be more active.
Thanks

Jabon

Utah
I'm glad he's eating more. As to burying themselves, I couldn't say. Our russian would dig down behind her stairs, and dig all the way out and pop up in front of her stairs, she looked like she had lots of fun doing it over and over, but if she noticed us looking at her she would stop, like she was embarrassed. I never saw her just bury down in and rest there.

Do you have temperatures for the various areas in his habitat?