Tortoise Squirms When Held

EmilyTheElf

Hi! My name is Emily, I'm fifteen years old and I'm the proud owner of a Russian Tortoise.

A few days ago, I picked up my tortoise to bring her outside. As usual, she squirmed in my hands, and I accidentally dropped her! I checked, made sure there were no cracks on her shell, and brought her outside. She seemed pretty much unfazed after falling, and roamed around as normal.

Is there any way to possibly make her more comfortable with being held so this won't happen again?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi Emily and welcome.

To be honest most torts would rather not be picked up. They're not social creatures and don't want friends or cuddles like a dog.

Regular handling will help your tort to relax in your company, but he'll always be happier with feet on the floor.

If my tort Joe, who we've had 46 years, is in a particularly off mood, I carry him in a washing up bowl so I can't drop him and so he can't pee down me. It's safer!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I usually grab the smaller ones over the back so my fingers and thumb are between the front and back legs. They then start running in the air, but they don't knock themselves out of my hand.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi Emily and welcome.

To be honest most torts would rather not be picked up. They're not social creatures and don't want friends or cuddles like a dog.

Regular handling will help your tort to relax in your company, but he'll always be happier with feet on the floor.

If my tort Joe, who we've had 46 years, is in a particularly off mood, I carry him in a washing up bowl so I can't drop him and so he can't pee down me. It's safer!
Yes, they really do not want to be held, ever. That I am sure of. Some may tolerate it more than others, and remember picking them up is what predators do before they eat them or carry them off to be eaten. Squirming is trying to escape.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The proper way to hold a turtle or tortoise is with 8 fingers under the plastron and both thumbs on top of the carapace.

Better still is to use a plastic dish washing tub and transport them with their feet on the "ground" in their tub. They don't like to be suspended in mid air.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum.

When I transport my tortoises I put them in a plastic container. That way they feel more secure and I do not have to worry about dropping them. I use the same container when I soak them.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
They are afraid of falling and do not like to be hoisted into the air. Block their view of the ground, if possible, when lifting them. Always keep at least one hand on the bottom of their shell so they feel like they are on the ground and not in the air.

EmilyTheElf

They are afraid of falling and do not like to be hoisted into the air. Block their view of the ground, if possible, when lifting them. Always keep at least one hand on the bottom of their shell so they feel like they are on the ground and not in the air.

Would blocking the view of the ground actually help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look at it this way, Emily - you're the giant, and you've just picked up a Liliputian (small person). Of course he's going to be scared and even frantic. I have small plastic tubs for transporting my tortoises in and out.

Welcome to the Forum!!