tortoise species?

Sieski

Hi. I found a tortoise today in the middle of the road on a job I was working on today. Ive knocked 20 doors up and down either side and no one knows of him/her.

Im going to put posters up tomorrow or day after and hopefully find his owner. He has now took residence in my rabbit run. The rabbit has been evicted lol.

I was looking at care info on food etc but many sites are conflicting and seem to be varied depending on species..... I havent a clue what he is van you guys help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't tell from the pics. We need to see the anal scutes and tail to tell the sex.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Sieski, as Tom said it is what in the US they call a Russian Tortoise, but in the UK it's called a Horsfield Tortoise, so you may have better luck asking people when calling it that. Would you be looking to keep it? If not, organisations such as the Tortoise Trust and the Tortoise Protection Group offer rehoming processes.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'll go with a pure guess, based on apparent large size, of female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's good that you're trying to find this Horsefield tortoise's owner. They are great escape artists and he may have wandered many miles from home before you found him.

747117wei24kafiu.gif