Tortoise species

kaitiejane

I'm getting a tortoise soon and I just wanted advice on what kind to get. I have never had a tortoise before and I'm wondering on what species to get. I'm thinking about a hermann or a redfoot. Please let me in on you guys opinions!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you? Renting or do you own your house? What kind of space do you have indoors and out?

kaitiejane

I'm thinking about adding a tortoise to my family but I'm not sure which species to get. I'm thinking about a redfoot or a hermann but wanted some advice before I made up my mind. Any help on which one I should get?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well both species are great introductory species. The Redfoots do get quite a bit larger than the hermann though. So space would be the primary question of those two.

kaitiejane

Own my own house. I have plenty of room for the tortoise I'm just trying to figure out which one would be a better species or which ones are harder to care for than others

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where you live (your climate) might have something to do with what you decide to get. In my opinion, tortoises should be set up to live outside. Then a secondary home indoors for winter, but outside first.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Either species will do well for you with the right set up, and both species are attractive, hardy and have great personalities.

Tough choice for you. :D

If you lived somewhere with low humidity, I would have leaned toward the hermanni. High humidity would push me toward the RF. They both need lots of space, and I agree with Yvonne about having indoor and outdoor housing. I like to keep babies inside more than out, and adults outside more than in.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use plain CocoCoir :)
Don't use coil UVBs, they can cause some real damage to your tort! Besides those, tube UVBs are safe and MVBs provide bot heat and UVB... Both tort are great, but yeah, hermanns can tolerate lower humidity than redfoots, and you live in a hot dry area, so it maybe a bit of an issue?!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Zeko

5 Year Member
Or what other bulb could I use besides a mercury bulb

They need UVB. They can get it from the Mercury Bulb, Fluorescent Tube or natural sunlight.

Take your pick, as long as they get many hours of it, every day preferably.

kaitiejane

The only reason I can't so outside is because of the weather right now. Even though I'm in south Texas the temperatures get down to freezing and we are having highs of 40-50. Which is way to cold