Tortoise species

19TORI92

Location (City and/or State)
South West, England
Help!
My mum recently passed away.
My dad and I are looking after her tortoises. Unfortunately we aren't completely sure of their species.
I believe one of their shells has started pyramiding. However it's not spongy?!
We feed them Florret crispy salad with zoo med grasslands and calcium supplement.
They have a 60watt bulb over their 'basking' area. What are we doing wrong?!

M

Maggie Cummings

Especially in England he needs a UVB bulb for health. 60 watt bulb is not good enough. Then they need humidity. You also need to send us pictures of your enclosure, lights, what temp is it etc. We really need to see pix of the torts so we can advise you correctly. We can't tell what species it is with seeing it, or them. Are they all the same species? Each species eats differently.
How many are there?
Sorry about your Mum. That's hard to go thru. You have my condolences...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help!
My mum recently passed away.
My dad and I are looking after her tortoises. Unfortunately we aren't completely sure of their species.
I believe one of their shells has started pyramiding. However it's not spongy?!
We feed them Florret crispy salad with zoo med grasslands and calcium supplement.
They have a 60watt bulb over their 'basking' area. What are we doing wrong?!

Hello and welcome. So sorry for your loss.

We will be better able to help with some pics of the tortoises and enclosures as Maggie stated above.

19TORI92

South West, England
Hi, Maggie and Tom.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm currently at work, I thought I would just quickly put a message up while on breaks.
As soon as I'm home I'll send pictures.
We have two, a male and female. We had to separate them as the male was bullying the female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tori (?), and welcome to the Forum!

First thing, in my opinion, that you're doing wrong, is keeping them indoors. I understand that the weather in England isn't exactly the warmest place on the planet, however, many,many people in England keep tortoises in their gardens.

After having said that, and you keep them indoors, then you must provide them with the biggest indoor habitat you have space for. Tortoises require a lot of roaming space.

After you've posted their pictures we'll be better able to offer you the kind of advice that fits the kind of tortoises that you are keeping.

I'm so sorry about your mum. That's a hard thing to have to go through.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi, Maggie and Tom.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm currently at work, I thought I would just quickly put a message up while on breaks.
As soon as I'm home I'll send pictures.
We have two, a male and female. We had to separate them as the male was bullying the female.

Sounds like a Russian...we'll see when you send post the pix. Russian males are bad about being aggressive to the lone female...

19TORI92

South West, England
image.jpg image.jpg This is the picture of the enclosure and female. (The one I'm worried about pyramiding)

Last edited by a moderator:

19TORI92

South West, England
The male and half the enclosure. Turns out there is a Uv light in there. It looks like the temperature gauge has stopped working though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Pictures of the plastron aka. the "belly" could help us identify the correct species.

Somehow the picture of the male doesn't show up for me.

19TORI92

South West, England
Thanks guys. This is really helpful.
I'll try and take a pic of their bellys later.
They have beech chips and shredded paper?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can get cuttlebone that's packaged and marketed for birds. That's a good source of calcium.

That substrate has to go. Don't wait. Coconut coir or cyprus mulch - it must hold some moisture. Pet stores often give bad advice, so read the care sheets and don't be swayed by the store's attempts to sell you stuff.

If your bulbs are a year old, they need replacement.

You can't reverse pyramiding, but you can prevent it from getting worse.

Condolences on the loss of your mum.