Tortoise sneezing and whistling (no vets around!)

Nadeen Atef Elsaied

My tortoise is having excess mucus in the form of bubbles lately he has been sneezing and whistle while breathing.. i dont know what should I do and in Egypt, vets dont know alot about reptiles what should i do ( he is eating, peeing and pooping fine)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
You will get good advice here! Good luck with his recovery!

Bee62

Germany
Hello and welcome to the forum.
What specie of tortoise do you have. Is it a leopard ?
Can you please tell us something about the enclosure of your tort and the temps ( basking area, cold area ) and the humidity ?
A sick tort needs higher temps and higher humidity.
How long is your tortoise already sick ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species of tortoise have you got?

Respiratory infections are usually caused by temperatures being too low. You need to keep this tortoise warmer day and night, and also soak him daily with all the extra electrically generated heat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can help him breathe by flushing out his nose. Buy some sterile saline (you can use the saline sold for contact lenses) and a small squirt bottle. Give each nare a good squirt with the saline to push whatever is in his nose back into his mouth (the other end of the nose goes to the roof of his mouth, not down into the lungs). Then keep him warmer, like has been suggested above.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Sounds like respiratory infection. Star your tort on rigorous soaking schedule. Bump up the temp in his enclosure to 30C all around his hide needs to be this warm too. Don't let the temps drop below 27C. See if you can create a warm steam for him to breathe as often as possible. Just remember 2 basic principles: 1) warmth & 2) humidity, warm steaming bath. Get your tortie well hydrated by soaking him at least once a day, more if you can. His bath water needs to be nice and warm (not hot! Just warm! 38-39C) give him good nutritious food... hopefully his little body is able to fight it off without antibiotics

Greta16

Western Maine
My tortoise is having excess mucus in the form of bubbles lately he has been sneezing and whistle while breathing.. i dont know what should I do and in Egypt, vets dont know alot about reptiles what should i do ( he is eating, peeing and pooping fine)
How is your tortoise?