Tortoise sizes

ChuckK

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I know I found a list of tortoise by size before, but I can't find it anymore. So I have a question for you knowledgeable people! I had initially had my heart set on a red or yellow foot tortoise, but you guys (thankfully before I bought one) said that the climate I live in combined with potentially moving to a colder climate would make caring for one quite difficult. So here is my question: Which tortoises would be best for cooler climates and what are their size potentials? Someone said greek/russians would be probably good, but what are the other options?

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
I have a Hermann's. I live in Western Canada...doesn't get much colder than that! ;)

I also had either Hermann's or Horsfield's on my short-list...and I'm very pleased with my baby Hermann's. She is extremely personable.

I didn't want a challenge with a tortoise. I wanted one that was small, so I could meet space requirements better and was one that was more tolerant of variation in temperature. humidity etc.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a redfoot and live in the cleveland, ohio area. Pretty cold here. Unfortunately most of the year he does have to be housed indoors. We get about two months outdoor time.

From what I understand, all the testudo species are more cold tolerant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyone have a resource that has a quick size comparison?

I don't have a link, but I can list some general adult sizes of Testudo.

Russian are typically 5-8".
Eastern hermanni (the most common type) 6-10".
Greeks 6-9".
Marginated 8-12".

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't have a link, but I can list some general adult sizes of Testudo.

Russian are typically 5-8".
Eastern hermanni (the most common type) 6-10".
Greeks 6-9".
Marginated 8-12".
However, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean they need less space

Even Russians need a minimum of 8' x 4' as they are so active

I have a male Greek which is just over 10" and there's another male TGG an hour down the road from me that's the same size. Tom's figures are guidelines not min-max.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I +1 JoesMum's statement. A small tortoise still needs a lot of roaming room or you're going to be driven crazy with him digging at the corners, trying to climb the walls, trying to escape, etc. Tortoises are hard-wired to wander over great distances in search of food, and even though you are going to provide a nice big clump of food, he's still going to want to wander.

ChuckK

Florida
Thanks a ton! I was mainly interested in size because I would like to have a medium-ish sized little guy. Somewhere between about 11 and 18" but if there aren't any in that size range that would be happy in the climates I'm likely to live in I'll choose the turtle I can make happiest! I fully intend to give my guy the maximum amount of space I can make safe for him (or her)!

ChuckK

Florida
working to make a chart for future people with similar questions! Becoming more and more glad I researched before I bought a tortoise! Resources online that I am finding seem to be generally saying almost the same things for most all of the tortoise I look up. I'll finish my chart and put a picture of it up for the community to correct. Hopefully I can help future tortoise parents pick the right pet!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks a ton! I was mainly interested in size because I would like to have a medium-ish sized little guy. Somewhere between about 11 and 18" but if there aren't any in that size range that would be happy in the climates I'm likely to live in I'll choose the turtle I can make happiest! I fully intend to give my guy the maximum amount of space I can make safe for him (or her)!
The marginated should fall into the lower end of that range.

ChuckK

Florida
I think marginated sounds like the best fit for me! From the reading I've done, their range is somewhat more extreme than most other tortoises. Also they CAN (and will) hibernate if it gets cold enough, so I can keep them nice and cozy inside during the winter (so they stay acive) and let them roam the yard (in a safe enclosure) in the summer. Thank you all for your help once again.

surfergirl

Great choice! my new Margie has a great personality, I have had it for almost 2 months and it is doing fantastic. my Margie has a daily routine he follows to a "T", his appetite is big anf its loves water and they soak and drink themselves often. I still soak mine every morning, but it walks straight thru the water taking a drink as it walks to and from the food saucer. I got my baby Margie from Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise. I am following Chris's care sheet on as a sticky under that species and the baby I got from him is doing wonderfully. He has some really nice adults to view on his website www.gardenstatetortoise.com or Hermanni Haven.