Tortoise shell...

lskaife

Hello everyone, this is Bardi, I just got him and I am unsure if his shell looks okay??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

lskaife

i am a new owner to a russian tortoise, does this shell look healthy? what am i looking for in a healthy shell??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Looks good to me for the age he probably is. Wild caught most Lille and between 6-8, possibly older. Wide growth line. Not sure what causes that, possibly poor diet. Maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can confirm the reason for such a wide growth line.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

lskaife

awesome, thank you so much, he hasnt eaten much since i brought him home, but thinking that he is still adapting. thanks for your help!!

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Your tort looks fine:) Must have been growing rapidly recently. Make sure you give him good calcium supplement. When torts grow rapidly and lack this element they may be in danger of MBD.

lskaife

ok, great this is so good to hear. He has only been with me for 2 days, hasnt been eating a whole lot, but i am adding calcium daily to his diet, and a cuttle bone is available..is this good? ive got a uvb bulb also from zoo med in the same lamp as a basking bulb. i had seen urine with urates when i brought him home friday, but have not found any since and no poop. he also hasnt peed or pooped in his soaks, hoping he is still just adjusting.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
It's only few days. Your tort needs time. My adult tort needed over two weeks to venture out of his burrow when I got her. You don't know what his diet was before you got him, maybe they fed him some pellets that gave him constipation for example (in this case soaks should help). Just give him time. Calcium and cuttle bone is good. With good conditions everything should be back to normal shortly. If the symptoms that are troubling you persist, you might want to see a good vet for a check up, just to make sure everything is fine with your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok, great this is so good to hear. He has only been with me for 2 days, hasnt been eating a whole lot, but i am adding calcium daily to his diet, and a cuttle bone is available..is this good? ive got a uvb bulb also from zoo med in the same lamp as a basking bulb. i had seen urine with urates when i brought him home friday, but have not found any since and no poop. he also hasnt peed or pooped in his soaks, hoping he is still just adjusting.

If your ZooMed bulb is the cfl type, turn it off ASAP. Those can sometimes burn their eyes and they should not be sold. This might be why he is not eating and staying inactive.

These might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok, so what should i be using?

Please read the care sheet. Its all explained there. There are multiple ways to do it depending on where you are and what your situation is.

The main thing that is needed immediately and daily is basking heat. They can go a few weeks with no UV while you figure out which strategy will work best for you in your area.