Status
Not open for further replies.

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Green Bay
Hi Everyone!

I was soaking Sid last night and notice that the bottom of his shell was peeling, so I took a soft bristled toothbrush and gently scrubed it off....now its white with some black spots. I'm guessing this isnt normal, maybe some kind of fungus. Tell me what you think.

100_0599.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
RE: Shell Peeling

Apply betadine to the affected area daily, this will arrest the shell rot. There will not be a immediate change in apperence but it will begin to heal. what is your substat and what is the moisture level ? It should be mpist not damp. Think of what a forest floor is like, this is what you are trying to recreate not a swamp.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Green Bay

Where can I buy Betadine?? Do I have to get it from a vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

sid the turtle said:
Where can I buy Betadine?? Do I have to get it from a vet?

A note of caution on Betadine. You should only use it one or two times to kill the fungus. After that, the Betadine also inhibits new tissue growth. To keep the site clean after the first couple Betadine treatments, use Chlorhexidine (Brand name - Nolvesan). This is a product that the surgeons use to wash with. It can also be bought over the counter at the drug store.

Yvonne

sid the turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Green Bay

Hi again Guys!!

I've been treating Sid for the peeling shell, once with Betadine, and then the rest with the athletes foot cream. I've been keeping an eye on it and its turning black, see pic. Is this is how it is suppose to look? His shell is not soft when pressed gently. I stll have him on newspaper, until I can get some mulch. Walmart doesnt have any out yet....dont they know my tort needs it....lol.

He's eating and doing all of his business as usual.

100_0599.jpg--before
100_0600.jpg--after

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.