Tortoise scratches eyes regularly

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could she have something in them, substrate maybe? What do you use?

Dosu

Kuwait
Could she have something in them, substrate maybe? What do you use?

Atm I'm using reptibark, but I used to use reptibark and aspen, split throughout the enclosure.

Dosu

Kuwait
Are the lights too low and too close?

Umm, the MVB 100w is around 17.5 inches away, just far enough to have a basking temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The other bulb is really far away, around 35.5 inches away. So I don't think they're too close. He doesn't have any bubbles around his eyes or anything like that. He just scratches them a lot.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Try mixing in some Vitamin A rich food into your tortoises diet. Bok Choy for example.

Dosu

Kuwait
Try mixing in some Vitamin A rich food into your tortoises diet. Bok Choy for example.

Okay, I try to get that for him tomorrow from the supermarket. Not sure if they'll have it though (I live in a desert climate and they don't tend to sell much vegetables)
Thanks! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like some sort of mechanical eye irritation. My best guess would be that aspen bedding. I wouldn't recommend that as a substrate.

Also, adding some humidity might help.

Dosu

Kuwait
Sounds like some sort of mechanical eye irritation. My best guess would be that aspen bedding. I wouldn't recommend that as a substrate.

Also, adding some humidity might help.

Yeah, I don't use aspen anymore, so I hope the irritation will go away. I'm misting the enclosure couple of times a day but have no way of finding out the humidity levels since I can't find a humidity sensor anywhere where I live. If the irritation doesn't go away in a few days I'll update you guys.
Thanks! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you get Terramycin there? It is an eye ointment and it might speed healing and prevent infection if there is an injury of some sort.

Dosu

Kuwait
Can you get Terramycin there? It is an eye ointment and it might speed healing and prevent infection if there is an injury of some sort.

There is only one petshop in the entire country and they don't sell much reptile stuff not do they sell any medicines. I'll try to go to the animal hospital pharmacy to find it but it's around 70 dollars to open a file for my tortoise there and you need a file to be able to buy anything in their pharmacy which I find is ridiculous, but I guess that's how they take advantage of being the only animal hospital in the country :/ Anyways I might as well open a file, just incase for the future, so I'll ask if they sell Terramycin there.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Maybe you could try an eye wash for humans. especially if you use Reptibark.

Kasia

Poland
Maybe try to wash his eyelids gently with a wet, soft towel and saline solution and get him out of his tank for a night - if its a substrate irritation a night on paper towels (day or two) should help. Are the lids swollen?