Tortoise Problems (doesn't eat well, sleeps a lot)

Non0

:confused::confused:My tortoise is a Russian and we've had her for almost a year. At first she seemed healthy and normal but only ate pellets. Over time she had developed some problems and I'm beginning to get worried. Firstly: food
She will always eat pellets if I hand feed them to her but will only eat veg or lettuce on a rare occasion and after a bit of encouragement. I've heard pellets are really for tortoises and they can get addicted easily. I'm pretty sure she's addicted so i was hoping maybe you guys had some ideas?
Secondly: sleep
She sleeps like all day. I go to school at 8 (she's asleep) I come back at 3 (she's asleep) I go to bed at 21:30 (she's asleep). While I'm reading I'll take her out and see if she wants to eat. I'll try and hand feed her and sometimes this works. I soak her everyother day before I go to bed. If she won't let me feed her on the first time she'll head straight for bed. I'll wake her up 15 minutes later and try again. I'll normally repeat this about three times then give up. As I said before she will normally go straight for the pellets but she will rarely eat veg. I was wandering weather a tortoise is normally so eager to go back to bed because I'm pretty sure she could sleep forever if I don't wake her up.
Lastly: hand feeding.
When we bought her she would eat on her own but then one day we decided to hand feed her and ever since then she will only eat on her own once a month or so. This is kind of a problem as when I go on holiday I will often give her to a friend or something so they can look after her. However, the fact she will only eat when I hand feed her means she won't eat much when I'm on holiday. I've also heard tortoises can get addicted to being hand fed and I'm pretty sure she is also addicted to this too.

Overall I was hoping if you guys can help me sort out my tortoise problems as I am beginning to get worried now.

Additional information:
- she is a horse field tortoise
-about 4 years old
- has a UVU light that's in all day except when I sleep
- looks healthy
- has a decorative table

Please help! Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps, basking, all over and night? What kind of UVB bulb are you using? Any humidity, they should have around 50%. We need these to better help you.
As for the food, soak the pellets and chop up greens kinda small. Then mix the pellets in with greens. S/He will have to eat the greens to get the pellets. Leave it on a piece of flat rock or tile and when s/he wants to eat it will. Do not continue hand feeding, break both food and hand feeding at the same time.
Btw, hello and welcome

Non0

How do I work out what the humidity and how can I humidity. The UVB light is 100 watt Exo terra. Temperatures I'm still doing...

Non0

I've just chopped some pellets and lettuce and broccoli and mushed them up. She ate them.... But only when I hand fed them to her! So annoying! :mad:

axeman25

Central Michigan
Hello and welcome! She should have a basking light that's about 95 degrees to warm her. It sounds like you have some kind of heat lamp since you said it's a 100 watt bulb, but you need to know whether it's just a heat bulb, a uvb bulb, or a combo bulb. You also NEED to know what the temps are (check the care sheets on here). The heat is important and helps with proper digestion. What kind of enclosure is she in and what substrate do you use (pics would be helpful)? Depending on the type of enclosure/substrate you have will help determine the proper way to get the humidity up. Stop hand feeding altogether. I'm not sure why she will only eat from your hand......kinda weird. If she gets hungry enough she'll eat, just make sure to offer her fresh pellet/greens combo. She won't starve if she misses a few meals, trust me. There is a very good list on here of what to feed Russians, I would try different types of greens. Each of my five all like and dislike completely different greens.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't panic; you'll hopefully get the help you need, here.;)

I'd suggest your posting pictures of your tortoise and his/her enclosure.:)

Non0

I'm buying a themomtre now and hopefully I'll send the temps soon.
Our light:
Exo Terra PT2133 Daylight Basking Spot, 100 Watt
About the Product
  • Broad-spectrum daylight spot lamp for terrariums
  • Creates a basking area for thermoregulation
  • Increases ambient air temperature
  • Stimulates breeding behaviour through uva rays
  • Can be positioned straight or at a 45° angle
  • Technical Details
    Pet Type Reptile
    Item Weight 68 g
    Product Dimensions 7.6 x 7.6 x 11.4 cm
    Item model number PT2133A1
    Size 100 Watt
    Number of Items 1
    Quantity 1
    Batteries Required No
    Batteries Included No
    Voltage 230 volts
    Wattage 100 watts

axeman25

Central Michigan
You will need a UVB bulb very soon as well. What I would suggest is something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exo-Terra-S...g-Heat-Lizard-MVB-Mercury-Vapor-/360567821610

This bulb is a combo heat and UVB bulb so you get the best of both worlds. It cost about 35 buck but you'll spend more than that on a goo UVB and fixture. Let us know what your temps are. I use a digital thermometer that you just point at stuff and it reads it, I like to measure from the top of the shell to see what the basking temp is. That couple of inches between the top of the shell and the bottom of the enclosure could mean 10 degrees or more sometimes. Also try to include some pictures. They can tell these guys a lot. Again, good luck.

Non0

Pictures... It asks for a picture ULR. Do I have to upload it some where and then copy the ULR?

Non0

I'll take a look at the one you sent. And the picture URL thing?

Non0

It does say it has UVA light

A broad-spectrum daylight spot lamp with a neodymium sleeve. The spectrum is ideal for plant's photosynthesis and the UVA (Ultraviolet a) light contributes to reptiles' physiological well-being. The spot allows one to direct the heat and light in a certain direction to create basking sites in the terrarium.

Is that what they need?

Non0

Good news guys! She's coming out more and not sleeping as much now! Do you think part of the reason is because it's winter. I don't hibernate her and I don't plan on it but I think she could just be slowing down because it's winter. What do you guys think?

axeman25

Central Michigan
Glad shes moving more. Sorry I haven't got to your question sooner, been off for a few days. Regular light bulbs provide UVA, what she needs is UVB, which provides the vitamins she needs.

Non0

No probs. Do you think if she hasn't eaten in 5 days i should hand feed her some pellets?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a serious problem that you need to work out there. Reptiles are dependent upon the correct environmental temperatures. You need to know what your temps are and make adjustments where needed.

That bulb is not great. Spot bulbs concentrate too much heat in one spot. You need a flood bulb or a regular round bulb to create a large basking area. You also need UVB. Tortoises cannot make vitamin D3 without exposure to UVB rays. The manufacturers have made this as confusing as possible in an attempt to sell more stuff.

All of this and more is explained here. Please take a minute to read these and make the needed adjustments before things get any worse for your tortoise.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/