Tortoise problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodagoat

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, Brian my Horsefield Tortoise has recently been hiding alot and not really basking much. When we take him outside he stomps around, and when we take him out his hiding place he stomps about and eats stuff, but otherwise he stays hiding. We have recently got a wee kitten who doesn't really pester Brian much. The cat has sat in his enclosure a couple of times but hasn't poo'd or pee'd in it, and I'm looking into some sort of net cover to stop the cat getting in.
Could Brian be in the huff or something? He looks healthy, with no weepy eyes or runny nose, and he is still going for poo's etc.

cheers

Mike

PS Brian's previous house (we rehomed him) had cats who he got along with. Brian is 3.

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 65

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Yodagoat:

Welcome to the forum!!

Brian is very pretty, and I LOVE "people" names for tortoises!!

Is Brian warm enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What's the weather like there? The days are getting shorter and the weather cooler. Brian might be thinking that hibernation time is coming.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it could be temperatures here in California we have been having one day 100 plus temps the next day 70 degrees the poor guys are confused right now.

yodagoat

5 Year Member
Bri is quite warm, we weren't planning on hibernating him for a few years. I'll keep an eye on his temperature over the next few days and see how he goes.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! Sometimes torts just get in funks. I do however like to see my tort get up and bask and eat every other day. Check the temps daily with an accurate thermometer like a temp gun. What sort of temperature range is in the indoor enclosure, and what temperatures do you take him out in? Have the enclosures changed at all recently? So glad to hear you will keep him safe from the cat. No something you want to chance, and that cat getting into the enclosure can really scare him off. You can give us an enclosure picture and we can suggest something. An easy solution is to use hardware cloth in a frame and secure it with hinges or just weight it down. UVB rays can get through hardware cloth (not sure if you have a UVB bulb since it sounds like Brian gets outside regularly). Hibernating is 100% up to you...its not a requirement for a healthy & happy tort, but either way, glad to hear you aren't doing it right away. Lot of info here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Temps and hours of daylight...
Mine has slowed just a bit.. esp since it got cooler..
but not ready to let him sleep yet..

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
aww, he's cute! and what a tough guy takeing on that dandilion thats bigger than he is!

Status
Not open for further replies.