Tortoise Photo Gallery Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
I just finished uploading and installing new photo gallery software. There should be a bridge that will keep you logged in to the gallery and TFO at the same time. This is just a test, so poke around and let me know what you think. Please report any bugs or errors in this thread.
http://tortoiseforum.org/gallery/index.php

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Photo Gallery Trial

Well, I clicked on the link, but couldn't figure out how to use it. I wanted to see if I could post a picture there, but it was beyond my capabilities.

So, if I'm understanding it correctly, we would put up our pictures, then if someone wanted to look at pictures they would click on for instance, tortoises, and all the tortoise pictures would show up. Or "people" and all the pictures of us members would be there. It sounds ok to me. Would we be able to post an I.D. with the picture?

Lori J

5 Year Member
New York

Josh said:
I just finished uploading and installing new photo gallery software. There should be a bridge that will keep you logged in to the gallery and TFO at the same time. This is just a test, so poke around and let me know what you think. Please report any bugs or errors in this thread.
http://tortoiseforum.org/gallery/index.php

yeah its a bit confuisng. not sure what to do on there.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

To start you'll need to add an album, name it and save the modifications. Then you will be able to upload photos from your computer. The index page shows a few test photos that have already been uploaded and also a few categories that will be populated with albums soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I tried to add an album, but get a blank box that won't accept anything.

I'm afraid I'm going to need explicit instructions.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast

So Josh this is basically like 'Photobucket' but on TFO? We just upload to HERE from our computer instead of using something like Photobucket? If thats the case it will make it much easier for me, I think!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA

Creating an Album
1. At the top, click the "Create/Order my albums" button.
2. You should see an empty box with 4 buttons at the bottom, click 'New'
3. You'll see "New Album" in the white box, and at the bottom is a text box where you can edit the album name. Enter the name for your album and click "Apply Modifications". Click OK to confirm.
4. You'll see a message like "Creating album 'My Torts'", click continue.
5. You should now have an empty album you can upload photos to

Uploading Photos
1. At the top-right of the page, under "TortoiseForum.org's Photo Gallery" are a bunch of links. Click the third one: "Upload File"
2. You can now either upload directly from your computer (click 'Browse') AND/OR from another site you have your photo on (enter the address to the photo in one of the three "URI/URL Uploads" boxes
3. When you've selected your photos, click continue.
4. Wait while your files upload, click continue when they're finished.
5. You should now see small thumbnails for your new images. You can use this page to select which album to put the photo in (the one you created above), and add a title/description. Under "Keywords" you can add keywords people can use to search with, for example: "greek tortoise sherman". Click continue when you're done describing the photos.
6. You'll get a confirmation page saying it was successful, click continue again.
7. You'll be returned to the main gallery page. You can click the "My Gallery" link (next to the upload files link) to see and edit your photos.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA

Not sure how constrained you are on server disk space Josh, but a 1m per-user limit is a bit low ;).

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

Thanks for posting that step by step list, Kadaan! I increased the maximum filesize to something a bit more reasonable. Thanks for trying this out, folks!
Jill, this could potentially replace sites like photobucket for us. More importantly, it will build large albums with various photos of the same species and all it's different variations and ages and sizes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Thanks for that step-by-step tutorial. Josh, if you go with this picture program, be sure to show Kadaan's tutorial as a sticky!

I tried to load three pictures, but it would only take two.

WOW!! Has anyone taken a look at Lori with that giant tortoise? He's about 4 times bigger than poor little Lori.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

Along with the uploading and such, please test out the rating and commenting. I'm trying to pin point any bugs that might exist.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

When I try to post another picture, it says "Disk quota exceeded

You have a space quota of 1024K, your files currently use 998K, adding this file would make you exceed your quota. "
What does this mean....and how can I fix it?

chadk

10 Year Member!

You are given a size limit set by the admin. It is pretty small right now. So you have just about maxed out the size. The last pic you posted would put you over the edge. Think of it like a bank account. You have 1024 in your account. You have already spent 998. You last transaction was denied because you don't have sufficient funds.

the admin can increase your account size so you have more space allowed for your pics.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Thanks Chad...well, that would be a pain to re-size all my pictures. Hey Josh, could I have more space?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan

Thanks, Josh!!
I wanted to show more photos and quickly filled up my quota.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a Linux operating system and the picture site told me it did not recognize my computer as a legal computer then it kicked me off...

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

Okay, upload away! Everyone should have a 200MB limit now...

Maggie, let me know more about what error you're receiving.

TrevO

5 Year Member

Well I created an album but when I go to 'upload file' it says on the upload page where it would say like browse, it says uploads disabled. But the url area is usable. Just not the upload form area.

Status
Not open for further replies.