Tortoise owner by divine intervention LOL

Macey Noel

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi, my name is Macey.
Im from central Washington state and on May 4th 2015 when I was pulling into my gravel driveway I saw a little tanish brown "blob" in the path. Upon further inspection and to my surprise, it was a little Russian tortoise!!
Now as a person I have a degree as a veterinary technician (although I do not prcatice as one anymore) but as a disclaimer I only really know cats and dogs and not a lot about reptiles. I knew enough to know he looked rough. His skin was really dry, he was acting very lethargic when I picked him up and his shell was (and still is until I find a way to fix it) flacking. I asked all the surrounding houses on my block it he belonged to anyone but to no avail. He seemed like he needed a good home and I figured I was just the person for the job. After some consideration with my husband, we named him Sebastian <3
I joined this forum to learn all I could from people who were very familier with tortise care. Because while google is awsome, it can also be inconsistante. And so I value the experiances shared by skilled owners to help the rest of us on this site.

Picture taken after I found him
GetInline.aspx

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome. I'm right down the 5 outside Salem, Oregon. We have a number of members up in your neck of the woods. As Mike mentioned, your picture didn't show for me either.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Russians are escape artists, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. I would place a Craigslist ad. His owner may be devastated they lost him. I would be worried sick not knowing if he was ok.
He needs a nice warm soak to start with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Macey, and welcome to the Forum!

I second what Jodie has said.

If you are unable to find Sebastion's previous keeper, and are going to keep him, then read the care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian section. Don't worry about the flaking shell. It is quite normal for wild caught-sold-in-pet-stores Russian tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
***and right after this beautiful picture was taken, everyone in the car was in turmoil because the tortoise pee'd all over that nice person and the car***

Macey Noel

Washington
***and right after this beautiful picture was taken, everyone in the car was in turmoil because the tortoise pee'd all over that nice person and the car***
HAHA! I thought for sure that thats exactly what was going to happen!! surprisingly he didn't :)

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Congrats on the tort find ! Good thing you investigated that brown blob !
Nice name !

Macey Noel

Washington
How is the tortoise doing? I am in Walla Walla.
He's doing really well actually. He's got a healthy appetite and last weekend i made him a SECURE outside enclosure with some planted red romaine plants to graze and to exercise him during the warm parts of the day. He still comes inside at night (he's more active then i would have thought for a tortoise) his skin color is better now too, not so dry and pale as it was when i found him. heres a pic of his play area

Attachments

• 20150511_163852.jpg
    20150511_163852.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20150511_164220.jpg
    20150511_164220.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 23

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
He'll be tearing all that nice landscape up in no time. They love to burrow and dig. But I like it. If you can make it bigger he'd really be happy out there. The more space, the better for tortoises in general.