Tortoise or turtle?

Justin90

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I love both... but! About ten years ago I "fostered" an Eastern Painted Turtle, named Bob. Bob would swim to one side where the water pump was, stop swimming and let the "current" float him across the tank, swim to the pump, float back, swim to the pump, float back....he was fun. I had a pair of Leopard Geckos at the same time, so when I bought crickets for the lizards, I would feed a couple to Bob and watch him go at it. I love turtles, probably because they are constantly more active and I enjoy watching them swim.

However, now that I have Ella. I would lean more towards Torts. Their personalities, the way the walk/wobble (like a tank with legs), they are great. I love Ella's little black eyes. When my wife and I talk and joke as if we are Ella, we talk like we are annoyed and hate us (except during dinner and soaking time).

My greatest moment so far with Ella that I wish had on video, was when I fed her one day. I put her food in her enclosure, walked away to do something and when I came back to watch her, she literally dropped her food, looked up and stared at me until I said sorry and walked away! LOL

South Carolina
Tortoise. I feel it is easier (less messy) handling them. I like their stocky legs too, and I love watching mine wander around our yard. I like that his environment is the same as mine, more or less, so it is easier to spend time with him.
Agree with this 100% - I loved my two turtles but MAN cleaning their tank was ridiculous work.. My tort is a breeze in comparison

tamstorts

Indiana
I am new to this so take my vote / opinion with a grain of salt . . . I started off looking for a turtle, I am a very aquatic person (guess its the Pisces in me) I thought watching them swim and such would be some relaxing entertainment (similar to my fish tank) BUT when looking we came across a tortoise in a pet store and that got me to considering my options . . . I did some research, picked out ones I thought I might like, purchased the beginnings of a habitat and started looking for tortoise babies of my own. I now have Scarlett (redfoot) and Sonny (cherry head redfoot) whom I could not adore more! They each have differing personalities, wants, likes and dislikes and I am enjoying them thoroughly. I have not once second guessed my decision to tort over turtle.

Robert Hutchens

California
Im going with tortoises over turtles for these reasons
1. No saminela
2. No water filters etc
3. Easier to spend time with
4. Diet is cheaper
I love turtles though an hopefully in the future I can have more

Alaskamike

South Florida
IF I had a pond ( & one day I'll build one ) I would have an Alligator Snapper. Growing up in Indiana I often found the Midwest snapping turtles , almost never an alligator snapper.

But in Georgia, a friend had on in his pond. He would bang on the pier , and catfish would come bubbling to the surface as he threw in fish chow ( looked like dog food ).

The Alligator snapper came too. It was huge! I was in awe.

Like my Sulcata & Aldabra - the Alligator Snapper seems like a creature from the Jurassic Era.
His ate chicken too. Bones & all.

He never picked it up or weighed it , but it had to be well over 50 lbs. wish I'd gotten a picture of it eating a whole chicken. :)

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I fell in love with the grin, the eyes and the nose of Medusa. He is a Pelomedusa variabilis, and when put on his back, he will use the back of his head to flip back over! He is a real hunter and at the moment he is really easy to feed... a newborn pinky mouse once in a while. He hates veggies and won't touch pellets. He begs worse than the dogs. He doesn't need the run of the garden.
So... until I first saw a leopard tortoise, I would go with a turtle.

Being on my second baby leo tort from what seem to be a bad breeder, I hope he will make it, I can't help think about getting a new better one, if my second leo dies as well. Pick one from a better breeder. It's hard work caring for a tiny thing, and still... I don't intend to give up. The thought of having a tortoise companion for the rest of my life is very compelling.