Tortoise on her back?

chandarcat

5 Year Member
I adopted a stray Russian tortoise last summer after my son found her living under our deck. I built an (indoor) enclosure for her that is about 3' x 4.5' and she has been doing well. We live in Wisconsin so keeping her outside year round is not possible, but when it's warmer I try to put her out for a few hours each day. I have been letting her wander around my garden, which consists of 4 - 4'x8' raised beds with mulched paths between and around the beds. The whole thing is enclosed with a picket fence that is lined with hardware cloth. For the most part Sasha cannot get into the beds themselves (although I did see her climb in one once, at a point where the mulch is piled a little higher) but she can wander around and nibble on weeds or plants that overhang the beds. I know it is possible for her to dig out under the fence but we check on her regularly when she's out and so far she has only dug enough to bury herself (and freak us out a bit when we couldn't find her right away!).

Today I had her out while I was picking beans and watering the beds, and then I went in for a while. When I came back an hour later I found her on her back, flailing her legs frantically. I picked her up and she has a small scratch on her head and she was breathing hard and seemed warmer than usual. I brought her in and she buried herself in her house and didn't come out for the rest of the day.

I have no idea how she managed to flip over, but would she have been able to flip herself back if I hadn't found her? Is it harmful for a tortoise to be on its back? I would like to continue to put her outside for a few hours a day but I don't want her to get hurt, and I can't watch her constantly while she's out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise has to lay on its back for any length of time, everything inside is pressing down on the lungs. They can hold their breath for a very long time, but eventually a tortoise would die...especially if its in the sun.

Some tortoises are able to turn back over, some need help with it.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

chandarcat

5 Year Member
Well, today Sasha is a little subdued, but she did come out of her house to bask and she ate most of her food. I'm assuming she will be okay.

I just don't know how to prevent this from happening in the future, short of watching her the whole time she's outside. If I have to provide constant supervision, she will get much less outside time :(.