Tortoise not eating

Dharam

My smaller female Indian star tortoise has stopped eating lately...
She is active and still roams her enclosure but only nibbles a few bites of food from around a month..
She looks a bit thin now while the other female star is healthy getting big and eats like a pig..
Both have lived together since small yearlings..
She doesnt take interest in the food only and is 7-8 years old..IMG_3020.JPGNo nasal mucus seen...
I live in their natural range...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
This species of tortoise is territorial and what you describe is a tortoise that is being bullied.

They don't get lonely and see other torts only as rivals for food and space. In the wild they live alone, meet up to mate and move on. This tortoise cannot escape the other.

You must separate them and keep them entirely separately otherwise this tortoise will die.

Dharam

Indian star tortoise are not known to be territorial so it might be..
Plus another thing is that her weight has increased strangely so I m confused right now..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Groups of 3 or more tortoises may be successfully kept together in a very large enclosure.

Kept aa a pair there is no escape for the smaller tort from the larger one.

Bullying can be mental as well as physical. You don't necessarily see fights. The fact that the smaller tort has stopped eating tells you there is something wrong.

If she isn't being bullied then she is sick and she still needs to be kept separately from the make to keep him healthy.

Separate them now. If you wish to breed them then introduce them only to mate before separating them again.

Dharam

Can she be carrying unfertile eggs as her weight is increasing even without eating normally and she has never been introduced to male..?

Dharam

Groups of 3 or more tortoises may be successfully kept together in a very large enclosure.

Kept aa a pair there is no escape for the smaller tort from the larger one.

Bullying can be mental as well as physical. You don't necessarily see fights. The fact that the smaller tort has stopped eating tells you there is something wrong.

If she isn't being bullied then she is sick and she still needs to be kept separately from the make to keep him healthy.

Separate them now. If you wish to breed them then introduce them only to mate before separating them again.
My larger one is a female only no males are present at the moment..
Can you please explain why her weight is increasing,Is tht possible that she would be carrying unfertile eggs...?
Btw she ate a bit yesterday after rains..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My larger one is a female only no males are present at the moment..
My mistake. I assumed the larger was male. Bullying occurs regardless of gender
[quite]
Can you please explain why her weight is increasing,Is tht possible that she would be carrying unfertile eggs...?[/quote]
No I can't. She's either eating more than you think or, as you say, there's something wrong such as being egg bound.
Btw she ate a bit yesterday after rains..
Do you soak these tortoises? Do they have free access to water?

A large shallow water dish sunk into the ground so they can freely drink and soak themselves could make a lot if difference.

Dharam

My mistake. I assumed the larger was male. Bullying occurs regardless of gender
[quite]
Can you please explain why her weight is increasing,Is tht possible that she would be carrying unfertile eggs...?
No I can't. She's either eating more than you think or, as you say, there's something wrong such as being egg bound.

A large shallow water dish sunk into the ground so they can freely drink and soak themselves could make a lot if difference.[/QUOTE]
Yess they do get soakings from time to time and they a shallow water dish which has fresh water 24 hours...

Reactions: Dan

seanang168

10 Year Member!

A large shallow water dish sunk into the ground so they can freely drink and soak themselves could make a lot if difference.
Yess they do get soakings from time to time and they a shallow water dish which has fresh water 24 hours...[/QUOTE]

I think during this period where she is not active, it is good to give her daily soak. Sometimes the egg contents will discharge out during the soak. Do you provide calcium supplement? Without this supplement, the eggs may not be able to form, if any.

Dharam

Living in the natural range they are given their natural food so I dnt give them calcium supplement..

Bt thnx for this advice I would start soaking her everyday...