Tortoise Musician

localtortdude

So, I'm tortoisesitting for my teacher who's off camping for the weekend. This is good because I want one of my own so this is helping me get used to them.

I'm a musician, I play wind instruments like Clarinet and Tenor Saxophone and I was wondering if the high and low pitches from the instrument will hurt the tortoise in some way or if it's perfectly fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Studies I've seen indicate the tortoises have poor hearing. They can feel vibration through the ground, so they'd notice a nearby drum set, but I don't know if it would bother them, or if they'd just get used to it. Keep an eye on the tortoises behavior and appetite. If they start hiding all the time, running scared in a panic, or going off food, you will know that something is stressing them out or scaring them. If the tortoise eats good and remains active, then play away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moot point since they really need to be outside. That is, unless it's a baby.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is a pet-sitter asking the question. Where this tort lives is not a choice for them to make :)

As for music, I have no idea. My tort never seemed to react to the radio. If you can avoid practising in the room the tort is in then that would be a good idea. And if you can muffle/mute your instruments even better.

A stressed tort will hide away and/or stop eating. Keep an eye on it and don't do your practice if behaviour changes :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I don't think it's a problem. My tortoise doesn't react when the gardener runs the mower or blower. We've had power tools running and he will often come over to look. It doesn't scare him. Maybe if you blew it right into his face it would. If he is stressed, it is probably more because his routine and environment has changed.