Tortoise may have a URI

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
As some of you may know, I had returned from my vacation a few days ago. I had given very simple instructions . They were: 1- Feed the tortoise. 2-Turn the tortoise's lights on. I was so lucky that my message didn't reach him. When I came back from vacation I had rested for a few days... then when I finally got to see my tortoise I saw that the cage was filled with tortoise poop, the substrate smelt disgusting, AND my tortoise had a runny nose. It took some times scooping all the substrate out, cleaning the floor of the enclosure with water & vinegar, and placing the new substrate. My tortoise now has teary eyes & a runny nose. He has lost his appetite. The worst thing is that studying starts tomorrow, GREAT... I have also noticed that my tortoise is basking more than usual & now he is sleeping in the warm area (close to the basking spot) with his head lying on the substrate. He does have a cool side with a hide that is about room temperature... I'm super worried, should I wait for a few day and see if he's better, if not then go to the vet? I think he's trying to aestivate, but he does have a room temperature hide? I'm super worried & I'm building him an outdoor enclosure very soon...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Correction: he's not trying to aestivate, he just enjoys sleeping in the warm area and basking....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Give him a nice warm soak every day for a little while. Soaking them does wonders.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Give him a nice warm soak every day for a little while. Soaking them does wonders.
Thanks Yvonne, I soaked him twice already (he's been with me two days after the incident). His appetite is improving, but his nose is still running... I hope he's better soon :) I'll remember to soak him first thing tomorrow!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I hope he gets better :eek: My, I'm not sure the sitter really knew what he doing... :( You could use a timer for lights?
Will he eat a treat? His favorite food in the whole wide world?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Keep soaking....be patient, if the liquid you see is clear and not like thick icky mucus...then keep soaking. I also would bump the overall temp of the enclosure to 80-85 degrees (f) and see how he does....the additional soaking will help to keep him juicied up with the bumped temps...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I hope he gets better :eek: My, I'm not sure the sitter really knew what he doing... :( You could use a timer for lights?
Will he eat a treat? His favorite food in the whole wide world?
He is eating romaine lettuce, LOTS. He ate 2 entire leaves when I was out yesterday and then I gave him even more that he's eating... He's eyes are swollen, and he practically lives under the basking light.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Keep soaking....be patient, if the liquid you see is clear and not like thick icky mucus...then keep soaking. I also would bump the overall temp of the enclosure to 80-85 degrees (f) and see how he does....the additional soaking will help to keep him juicied up with the bumped temps...
The nighttime temps are around room temperature, but he is improving. He is soaked AT LEAST once a day. The "sitter" was someone that worked for us, I just can't get HOW my message didn't reach him :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps gently flush his eyes with room temp water.....i would soak the tort and while soaking gently flush the eyes for several mintes...a couple times a day for a feww days and see what his eyes do....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that's good thing he's eating, at least! Good nutrition will always help. Does he still have a runny nose? He may get better without you needing to get something for him...
Like ascott, said, maybe he has a piece of loose dirt stuck in his eyes? Has he been living in a hospital tank since you got back?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow, that's good thing he's eating, at least! Good nutrition will always help. Does he still have a runny nose? He may get better without you needing to get something for him...
Like ascott, said, maybe he has a piece of loose dirt stuck in his eyes? Has he been living in a hospital tank since you got back?
He is living in his regular enclosure, I changed the substrate and sanitized the floor of the enclosure. I really believe he is sick because of too cool of a temperature, that is why he got a URI last time :/ Another part of the enclosure broke off, another thing that urges me to make an outdoor enclosure.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Perhaps gently flush his eyes with room temp water.....i would soak the tort and while soaking gently flush the eyes for several mintes...a couple times a day for a feww days and see what his eyes do....
He also has swollen eyes, but I will still try...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, what are the temps in the enclosure? What does that mean another piece of the enclosure broke off?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmm, maybe the sitter didn't have the lights right, and he got too cold??

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Well, what are the temps in the enclosure? What does that mean another piece of the enclosure broke off?
I mean part of the door (which is glass) broke at the bottom. it had trouble opening so I trying forcing it, the rest is pretty obvious. It broke on the floor, (like a chip of it) so the tortoise is completely fine... The warm side is at 87.8 F, the basking spot is about 98.6. The cool side is about 71.6 F. At night it stays about 71.6 F. When I said another part broke off I probably meant also. I just can't get why I'd write another. He is now asleep (nighttime here).

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hmm, maybe the sitter didn't have the lights right, and he got too cold??
This is what happened (in detail):
1- We are traveling in less than a day, so we put the tortoise in the care of a worker of ours.
2- We can reach him in less than half a minute of walking, so we carry the enclosure to him.
3- I give him the instructions, but him being a very simple man (he probably got confused). And went with the normal tortoise care (before the TFO suggestions). So that means no lights, just food- typical uninformed tortoise owner :(
4- I receive him, runny nose, tears eyes, dirty enclosure (poop everywhere!), and swollen eyes.
5- He is in my care and is feeling a lot better.
Edit: by too cold, I mean constant room temperature. He cannot handle that, he needs high temperatures. He LIVES in the warm area. Outside the coldest you can get now is 85 F (winter cool temps can be at about 55-60, and that's exactly at/before sunrise).

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that is rock bottom care. That's like stuffing your worker into a closet with no lights, no room service (aka no poop cleanup, no checkups) with food being delivered once a day through a little mail slot. Wow. I know greeks require hotter temps than russians, and even Elmo would get sick living like that! :eek: That's probably why he's hugging his basking spot, because he (was) cold and now he's sick, so it may help him get better.
Now that he's getting better care, and warm temps again, clean environment, he should probably get well soon if it actually is an URI. As long he's eating and pooping, he's feeling better already:D I wouldn't entrust that guy with a tort again unless he knew exactly what was supposed to happen... :(

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow, that is rock bottom care. That's like stuffing your worker into a closet with no lights, no room service (aka no poop cleanup, no checkups) with food being delivered once a day through a little mail slot. Wow. I know greeks require hotter temps than russians, and even Elmo would get sick living like that! :eek: That's probably why he's hugging his basking spot, because he (was) cold and now he's sick, so it may help him get better.
Now that he's getting better care, and warm temps again, clean environment, he should probably get well soon if it actually is an URI. As long he's eating and pooping, he's feeling better already:D I wouldn't entrust that guy with a tort again unless he knew exactly what was supposed to happen... :(
I know him very well... It's just that I guess I should have been more clear. But I thought it was obvious. He didn't mean anything, but thats how we used to house him before TFO. So he may have thought he should do as usual. I really believe he was trying to help, but some people in life aren't so educated. I actually feel sorry for him...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:(
Recommend this site, he'll know everything :D
I hope your tort gets better soon :( it 's a shame all that old care knowledge is still going around...