Tortoise just wants to sleep

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
So, since some time back my tortoise has been very sleepy and just wants to stay in his hide or in a corner next to it.
He is still eating, although less than usual due to his inactivity.
He is also still drinking and pooping during his soaks.

It is noteworthy that I moved him to a new enclosure about a month ago, though in the beginning he was more active.

At first I thought my enclosure was too small, but if so, he was more active in his last one which was even smaller.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494444300.412305.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494444323.241774.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494444340.616411.jpg

Temps:
Basking: 89-90F
Warm side(Where he sleeps): 80-83F
Night: 78-80F

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What the humidity? He looks dry and is pyramided. Also, is the enclosure bright enough to stimulate day time? It looks a bit dark in the pics.

Korall

Sweden
What the humidity? He looks dry and is pyramided. Also, is the enclosure bright enough to stimulate day time? It looks a bit dark in the pics.

Yeah, those pictures are a bit old, I'm working on raising humidity though it seems like nothing is working, mixing in water into the substrate or spraying with water doesn't increase the humidity even by 1% (Perhaps my hydrometer is broken) . I'm considering getting a humidifier.

As for the lights, I don't think it's too dark although I'm going to replace my UV bulb for a fluorescent as soon as I can find a good place to buy them.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Yeah, those pictures are a bit old, I'm working on raising humidity though it seems like nothing is working, mixing in water into the substrate or spraying with water doesn't increase the humidity even by 1% (Perhaps my hydrometer is broken) . I'm considering getting a humidifier.

As for the lights, I don't think it's too dark although I'm going to replace my UV bulb for a fluorescent as soon as I can find a good place to buy them.

What do you use to measure humidity? Is it those dial gouges? Those are very inaccurate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's very hard if not almost impossible to get humidity up with out a top on the enclosure.

Korall

Sweden
It's very hard if not almost impossible to get humidity up with out a top on the enclosure.

Well, the top of the enclosure is basically completely sealed off (Except for a gap for some cables) though it appears open because the top is partially made out of plexiglass.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494507838.167594.jpg

Korall

Sweden
What do you use to measure humidity? Is it those dial gouges? Those are very inaccurate.

I use a digital hygrometer I bought online for 20$ though it is possible that it's broken slightly since the suction cups have dropped it once.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your right, I couldn't tell if there was a top. You can probably safely assume it's the meter. I would try a new one and put it at tort level. Usually if the humidity is high, there will be condensation on the plastic. But still better to read it by a meter/gauge

Korall

Sweden
Your right, I couldn't tell if there was a top. You can probably safely assume it's the meter. I would try a new one and put it at tort level. Usually if the humidity is high, there will be condensation on the plastic. But still better to read it by a meter/gauge

Yeah, that's something else weird I've noticed, I've never seen condensation on the walls or the top despite me mixing in a huge amount of water into the enclosure.