Tortoise GPS

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
does anyone have a tortoise gps ? I saw some online and am curious if they work good and should order a few just Incase ? I take my red foot out of her outdoor enclosure and let her walk around and explore sometimes so was thinking it would be great for her if I take my eyes off for a second . Always better to be safe :)

Meganolvt

Michigan
I have a Bluetooth connected tile (it's called Tile) which I got on amazon. It hooks up with an app on my phone. I tape the tile onto his shell when he goes outside during the day and through the app I can make the tile ring and find it on a map. So far he has never gotten it off. You have to be within 200 feet for it to work. Not GPS, but still works like it basically. In this picture I had it tied around him with string, but he kept walking out of it, so I switched to an x made of medical tape over it, which works great.20160914_115903.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree totally that a secure enclosure is essential.

However, even a 3kg lump like Joe is capable of blending in with the background and being very difficult to locate. I'm seriously considering a Tile for him too next summer.

Meganolvt

Michigan
Of course a secure enclosure is the answer. But sometimes they get out anyway. I will never again underestimate the brain power of my tortoise after he houdini'd his way out of his "secure" enclosure. GPS or a Tile is no different than microchipping your dog or cat.

Meganolvt

Michigan
I agree totally that a secure enclosure is essential.

However, even a 3kg lump like Joe is capable of blending in with the background and being very difficult to locate. I'm seriously considering a Tile for him too next summer.
Same with mine. It was nice to be able to ring it and find him in the dark to bring in at night if I got home late.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Of course a secure enclosure is the answer. But sometimes they get out anyway. I will never again underestimate the brain power of my tortoise after he houdini'd his way out of his "secure" enclosure. GPS or a Tile is no different than microchipping your dog or cat.
Yes exactly!! I have a secure outdoor enclosure already one for my Russians one one for red foot but they are the best escape artists and I just always want to be safe and especially at night they are so hard to find and I bring mine in right when it gets dark

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If only a microchips were a GPS in real time. I would invest in something like that! Maybe, I would've found Baby Runt by now. She escaped her outdoor enclosure by bulldozing a 16" high cement block wall. It happened while I went to a doctor's appointment. She's been missing for about 12 hours now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A microchip/GPS would be so useful!

Joe is chipped in case he ever did manage to escape our garden, but it's useless for finding him when he's decided to sleep under a different bush to usual and it's rapidly getting dark.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I saw on ig tortoise Gps soft elastic belt with a gps that goes around tortoise shell I'll have to find the link looks so cool want to know if they work good

Janelle Green

Colorado
If only a microchips were a GPS in real time. I would invest in something like that! Maybe, I would've found Baby Runt by now. She escaped her outdoor enclosure by bulldozing a 16" high cement block wall. It happened while I went to a doctor's appointment. She's been missing for about 12 hours now.
I'm so sorry I hope you find your baby soon!