Tortoise found in backyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theezy

5 Year Member
Went to the store and bought him a cuttle bone & a calcium / D3 supplement to sprinkle on treats I give him & a UV light for his indoor home.

Also, I am making an outdoor pen for my new turtle. Bought some chicken wire & posts. He likes to dig so the fence is going under the ground almost a foot. I dug about 6 inches until the dirt was too hard. I filled up the trenches with water & it looks like an island with a moat around it. I'd take a picture but it got dark out. Guess I'll finish tomorrow when the water soaks into the ground & makes it easier to dig.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Sounds like you have a good start.

Unfortunately, chicken wire can be used under ground to create a barrier against digging, but it can't be the only thing around the pen. There needs to be some sort of sight barrier or the tortoise will try to walk through the wire, and can really hurt himself badly. You can line the bottom of the fence with boards, cinder blocks or anything else solid.

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern ca. J
Make sure not to feed him iceberg lettuce and you should put a rock or something in their for him to grind his beak on.

Status
Not open for further replies.