Not open for further replies.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N.E. San Antonio
Hello all,

I'm going to jump right in here....

I am a homeschool parent. One of the ways we like to teach our kids is to give them unique experiences... not all from a text book.

We have researched torts to some degree and my kids would like to experience one first hand. I can read all day about the different kinds, but that won't really compare to the knowledge that you guys have by first hand experience.

Before I get attacked about owning animals and how it's a lot responsibility and all.... I know. Trust me, we have pets and we go to great length to make sure they have adequate environment and food. We currently have a Bearded Dragon, Red Ear Slider, Rat Snake, hamster, bird and dogs ( I don't think I left any of them out ).

We are in the San Antonio area of Texas so I'd like something that can appreciate our climate since I plan on it being an outdoor "pet".
(more for observation than for playing with)

So, I need you guys to help steer me in a good direction. We wouldn't want anything that is going to get super huge. My 7 year old is going to take this on as a project (with our help) and he is afraid that the larger torts would take his fingers off.

Thanks for your advice.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
welcome to tfo!
i think youll find a lot of people here who are big advocates of desert tortoises. i just recently got a couple of hatchlings and they're great! they would probably thrive in TX so long as they are given refuge when the sun is too hot or when the winter nights are too cool

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Maybe a russian or hermans tortoise would be good they don't grow that big only about 10" and i doubt it will get that big my hermans tortoise is about 5".But be aware that any tortoise can most likely live up to 50 years of age it will be a livelong pet if you decid to get a tortoise.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Hi daddykirbs,
Welcome to the forum :)
I homeschooled my son last year. I used Abeca and loved it. However, my at home job has changed with different requirements so I chose to send him to private school. My kids LOVE my torts and turts and have learned sooo much from my animal intrests. I would suggest a Russian and or hermanns too. I think the Houston SPCA has some russians looking for homes.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hi daddykirbs(?), my name is Taylor, otherwise known as Cpx or TayyTayy. I am homeschooled, my parents teach me from text books, internet and other things.
I have learned from experiances and much more.

Tortoises are not so much of a Responsibility, you feed them, soak them, clean their cage and let them roam for awhile outside in the summer days.
Aswell as interacting with them...

I have had a number of tortoises, my first ever Chelone was a Box turtle when i was younger, from my mothers friend Murtle The Turtle we named her. She was a beauty.
Then we had my mothers tortoise from her childhood Toby who sadly ran off or got stolen.

Then a modern day tortoise Jerry, Peewee and Looi. Jerry and peewee sadly passed away due to personal reasons, and Looi is still living, i have had looi a year now. And i rehomed a female tortoise Daisy. Both are healthy and well.

Your in texas? not bad, you can buy Hermanns (which if in texas can live outdoors all year round and hibernate themselves if the texan winters are cold.
You can also get a Horsefield (russian), Hermanns, Marginated or Greek. These are great for hot or warm climates as they come from hot areas and icey cold winters. Many tortoises dont like to be handled, they dont mind being watched and observed.
A hermanns, russian, marginate, greek or ibera all grow between 6 and 10 inches. None of these go over the size of this (marginates maybe a lil bit over.)

All these tortoises need the following:

Enclosure should be predator proof, cat and dog proof.
and escape proof (which means dig the enclosure about 8 inches into the ground).

You will need loads of hides, plants and much more.
Hides can be plantpots on their side dug into the ground, half plant pots, bark, big bushy or grassy plants, a cardboard box and similar things.
Plants and weeds are a better diet, so you can provide them with natural wild food such as:
dandelion, pansy, bindweed, sowthistle, thistle, chicory, catnip, grass, and similar things.
for a full weed list go to www.freewebs.com/chelonesupport/index.htm and click hermanns tortoise, scroll down for diet section.
Or www.russiantortoise.org < click diet and edible list.

They need fresh water daily, and you need to soak them every 2-3 days if its a hot climate.

Your enclosure must be a minimum of 4 foot even for hatchlings or yearlings.
But the bigger the better, and more natural it would be for the tortoises.

If your going to have a huge enclosure, id have 2 tortoises so you can see how a pair react in a natural enclosure. This way you can observe them with enjoyment and fun.

any other infomation go www.russiantortoise.org or the freewebs link i gave.

=]

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
N.E. San Antonio
Thanks so much for all that information. It all means so much more now that I actually have a tort. We ended up with one female Russian Tortoise for Christmas.

We are in the process of figuring out the best housing for her now. She's in a temporary indoor enclosure with a larger outdoor play pen for when the sun is shining.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
daddykirbs said:
Thanks so much for all that information. It all means so much more now that I actually have a tort. We ended up with one female Russian Tortoise for Christmas.

We are in the process of figuring out the best housing for her now. She's in a temporary indoor enclosure with a larger outdoor play pen for when the sun is shining.

Congrats and good luck with your new addition!! Russians are beautiful and from what I see here have great little personalities!

Status
Not open for further replies.