tortoise food in Scotland???

Becca12345

Hi was wondering if you'd can help me. I live in Scotland and as you know the weather is terrible most of this year. I was wondering what foods anyone from Scotland is feeding their tortoises as a balanced diet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Becca:

What kind of tortoise do you have?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi was wondering if you'd can help me. I live in Scotland and as you know the weather is terrible most of this year. I was wondering what foods anyone from Scotland is feeding their tortoises as a balanced diet?
Hi Becca

Welcome to TFO from the opposite end of the UK. I'm in Kent.

We need to know what species of tort you have as their diet isn't all the same. Greens feature for most, but not all for example.

The weather may be terrible (although this spring you had much better weather than we did!) but the weeds have been growing well.

When feeding a balanced diet, you are aiming for variety over time. If you buy something green, use it up and buy something different next time. Plants are seasonal and a tort in the wild will feed on what's available and then move on to the next thing.

The Tortoise Table (TTT) Plant Database is an easy place to look up the plants that grow around you and those you find in the supermarket for suitability to feed.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

TTT website also has a pdf Plant Booklet and an android app... and an aid to identification by flower colour :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Becca and welcome from Wales.
There are quite a few Scottish members here johnandjade (mainly John), @kirsty Johnston and a few others whose names escape me. We all have the same problem here in the UK though and have to resort to shop bought salads over winter or you can grow your own tort food. But it does depend what species you have so let us know and you'll get lots of advice and probably a good caresheet which will help with everything.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
look for those asian supermarkets. they carry enough variety of fresh produce good for torts.
such as : yam leaves, pumpkin leaves, sesame leaves, beet leaves, dandelion, aloe, cactus pads, banana flowers......

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
look for those asian supermarkets. they carry enough variety of fresh produce good for torts.
such as : yam leaves, pumpkin leaves, sesame leaves, beet leaves, dandelion, aloe, cactus pads, banana flowers......
Nice idea @enchilada but this is Scotland not California. :) Apart from a few outlets in our very biggest cities that type of store doesn't exist in the UK... and they certainly don't stock most of the things on your list :D