Tortoise feed grower kit

Lu_x85

Hello, I've come across this pack today for growing my own tortoise feed but I'm not sure if all of these are Redfoot appropriate, I know some are but I'm not 100% on all.

Thanks for taking a look!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello, I've come across this pack today for growing my own tortoise feed but I'm not sure if all of these are Redfoot appropriate, I know some are but I'm not 100% on all.

Thanks for taking a look!
Thanks for posting.

Interesting. Nothing against "your" thread, but what of torts living in the wild?;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know about RF tortoises, but that's a great list of edible tortoise weeds. Where did you find it?

Lu_x85

I don't know about RF tortoises, but that's a great list of edible tortoise weeds. Where did you find it?

It's a kit which I bought very cheaply from a reptile shop in Nottingham, UK. My first visit to that shop today as they have a huge selection of suitable live plants for my enclosure and very reasonably priced sphagnum moss. Even if it's not suitable for my tortoise I could always gift it to my friend who owns a horsfield.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see why your RF wouldn't eat that sort of thing. It's all broad-leaf weeds. The Russian would eat it too. I have three RF tortoises, but I've never seen them grazing. I think I feed them too much. let's send a shout out to @Anyfoot

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It looks good to me. In fact I'll keep an eye out for a bag of that for myself.
Mine eat dandilions, plantains, clovers bittercress and any type of thistle all the time.

Steve_carter

UK
It's a kit which I bought very cheaply from a reptile shop in Nottingham, UK. My first visit to that shop today as they have a huge selection of suitable live plants for my enclosure and very reasonably priced sphagnum moss. Even if it's not suitable for my tortoise I could always gift it to my friend who owns a horsfield.
Do they have a website? Might order one myself for my Horsefield living in the uk. How much was it please?

Lu_x85

Do they have a website? Might order one myself for my Horsefield living in the uk. How much was it please?

In store it was £6.99 or 2 for £10 and it does three rounds of sowing. It comes as a plastic propagator, compost and the seed mix. They do have a website- internet reptile. I think they might be 11.99 on there though.

Lu_x85

For those who might want to look for one, this is the box it all came in. I honestly think if you grow them and harvest them right you could keep them going for quite some time.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Steve_carter

UK
In store it was £6.99 or 2 for £10 and it does three rounds of sowing. It comes as a plastic propagator, compost and the seed mix. They do have a website- internet reptile. I think they might be 11.99 on there though.

Nice! Thanks for that. Like you say, do it right & keep them right I think you'll get a good duration out of them. Thanks again.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
My redfoot is a picky devil. He will angrily drag all of the greens out of his dish and only eat his fruit and mazuri. Sometimes we have to be mean and just give him greens till he eats them haha.

That mix and setup looks great. Should make for nice plants to put in your enclosure as well as good food!

Lu_x85

My local pet shop sells this, as well as pets at home and Amazon.

Not sure how much it is in your local pet shop but it's very overpriced on amazon and in pets at home. I would suggest buying the seed pack only on amazon and then buy the cheapest propagator in a garden centre as an alternative.

Katy1986

I thought the same. I already have a propagator so I've just bought some seeds for £1.90.