Tortoise enclosure

Tort1419

So I was think that for along the side of the indoor enclosure I could have a window that light goes through, so the tortoise will get its uvb and then I could have a heat lamp for basking, will this harm the tortoise in anyway if I keep the tortoise inside at all times

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Might not hurt him, but kinda mean in my opinion. They naturally live outside. Why not give him outside time during the warm months? Besides, not much if any uv goes through glass and or screen. Cut your bills down and make a happier tort, by building an outdoor enclosure.

Tort1419

One I think he will be happy inside the only difference from outdoor from indoor is sunlight and artificial light and the other thing is it rains to much in the summer months. His enclosure unless covered all the time will be flooded. Do u really think it's mean to keep him inside

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My torts are elated when they are outdoors.

Also you will need to supplement with UVB because window glass filters it out.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Some are successfully kept inside. What kind of tortoise do you have? Outside at least some of the time, when the weather is good, is optimal.

Tort1419

Hey guys on the turtle source website they are selling an indoor inclosure that they state is a permanent household for a russian tortoise. The size of the enclosure is 31.5in by 15.75in. and 7.5in high. BTW judging by the weather I have here the tortoise can only stay indoors, and I am going to provide a nice home for him. But is this size of an enclosure to small for an adult Russian tortoise??????

Tort1419

If this is not a good size for one full grown russian tortoise is 55" by 24" and 9" high, good for it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are looking at needing 32 sq feet ie 4' × 8'
The first is 2.6' x 1.3' = Less than. 3.5 sq feet - far too small

The second is 4.5' x 2' = 9 sq feet. Still too small for a more mature animal. Would suit a very young one for a short while.

Rather than look for a purpose built table, you are better off using a large old bookcase laid on its side with the shelves knocked out. Line it with pond liner or a shower curtain. It works out cheaper too!

Vladsfriend

Ohio
I upgraded my first enclosure last year for my adult Russian to 27"x60"x10". Still too small for Vlad. So I'll be upgrading again shortly. I thought the recommendations for 4'x8' were exaggerated, but they aren't.

Tort1419

Ok I'm going to try the book shelf idea thanks, anybody know a good local place to get one for cheap like menards or a library lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You want something measuring 4' × 8' with a shelf depth of about 12" (or if you work in metric 122cm x 224 cm x 30cm)

You will need to cap the corners to help minimise the risk of escapes by climbing out

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
uvb won't go through windows or window screening i mean some will but not nearly enough

if you can't provide a outdoor enclosure you may want to check into other reptiles that do not need to be outside as much a tort has to go outside to live a happy healthy life

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Russians can be kept inside. You will have to have a UVB buld. Filtered sunshine won't work. Your enclosure will need to be big, atleast 4ft by 8ft, and deep, a foot of substrate. These are the minimums.
Why are you opposed to an outside enclosure for nice weather?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
UVB doesn't go through glass, so even by the window, you'll still need a UVB light.

Tort1419

So about the weather, the winter is off limits. The summer is mostly rainy. I will however on good days in the summer take him out for a few hours in an enclosed area then take him back inside, when it rains it is a torrential downpour. He will drown in it. The soil will also not have enough time to dry out because rain here in Indiana is in long chains. But I still think he will be healthy even if he is indoors almost all the time

Tort1419

Also I have a big tub like 2.5ft by 1ft, when he is smaller should I keep him in the tub or since I already have the book shelf should I just start him out in there. Or should I start with the small and as he grows put him in the large. I hope I can just put him in the large becuase by the time he will need an upgrade I will be going to college( don't worry I have all the plans taken care of when I go to college so the tortoise will still be in my possession)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you planning on getting a hatchling? Even so I would get a bigger enclosure then 2.5' x 1'. That is too small even for a hatchling. Here is a picture of been to use as an enclosure that will get you through for a little while.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435800231.595711.jpg
If you get an adult this will not be big enough. I made the mistake of starting out with two small of an enclosure so I upgraded a few times. It is much more expensive and a hassle to do this. So if you get a hatchling I recommend a small enclosure at first and then once it is grown a big enclosure, a total of two. I wouldn't put the Hatch Lane in a large enclosure unless you can make a closed chamber because it is very hard to keep a large enclosure heated and with the proper humidity for a baby.