Tortoise Enclosure - My Take on it!

SSam

Hey!

I have finished doing some small changes to my Tortoise enclosure, I have posted some pictures below and was just after some suggestions for improvements!

I have a lovely little Russian Tortoise or Horfield's Tortoise if you prefer called Flash and he is currently sleeping in his hibernation box but he LOVES climbing! I have tried to make a fun, action-packed environment for him but I am always looking for new ideas to make his life better.

His Hibernation box is in the greenhouse with an indoor zone.. Both these zones lead through tunnels to his outdoor zone. He loves every inch of the zones and uses everything! Always looking for food/treats (the odd watermelon once every two weeks)

Any ideas or suggestions to make things better would be awesome!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. I can't see a water dish. One with low sides but big enough for him to get into. I also would eliminate the hay/straw. Too drying. Use leaf litter, dirt, peat instead

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's really nice. You've done a great job making a place that will keep him occupied exploring all the nooks and crannies.

SSam

Looks great. I can't see a water dish. One with low sides but big enough for him to get into. I also would eliminate the hay/straw. Too drying. Use leaf litter, dirt, peat instead

Thanks Wellington!

I will certainly look into buying some replacements for the straw! I always get mixed messages about using straw or not... I know Flash does love it for Hibernating... But outside I think I do need something else. He just likes looking through the straw when I hide some Watermelon in there :p

Also, there is a large water dish on the inside (second picture, bottom left)
Should I also put one on the outside do you think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks Wellington!

I will certainly look into buying some replacements for the straw! I always get mixed messages about using straw or not... I know Flash does love it for Hibernating... But outside I think I do need something else. He just likes looking through the straw when I hide some Watermelon in there :p

Also, there is a large water dish on the inside (second picture, bottom left)
Should I also put one on the outside do you think?
You could use some straw to hide food in. Just don't use it for bedding in the hide.
I wasn't sure if that was a water dish or not. You don't need to add one inside but you can if you want.