Tortoise Enclosure [In Progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I realize that I don't know a whole lot about keeping turtles and tortoises, but I do know that we call a "hide", a hide for a reason. Experience has taught us that when turtles or tortoises go into their hide to sleep they need/want to feel secure and to have both ends open, making a tunnel, instead of a hide, that does not make a very secure turtle or tortoise. Having one end butt up against a wall is not going to give the animal a chance to climb out. If it actually does then I would suggest that you might need to change how you have that set up.
Also I am curious about what kind of substrate you have? It looks awfully red, and that makes me think about cedar. Here again, I'm not loaded with experience like some of you, but I did have 3 Sulcata hatchlings and I used pine/cedar shavings for the substrate and one hatchling was dead in the morning, the second one was blinded and it took 2 years of Vet treatments before he got partial vision in one eye and I found a better forever home for the third one. So if that is cedar/pine I think you should believe me when I say that can be very toxic[/u] to your chelonia...

khanvict

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I realize that I don't know a whole lot about keeping turtles and tortoises, but I do know that we call a "hide", a hide for a reason. Experience has taught us that when turtles or tortoises go into their hide to sleep they need/want to feel secure and to have both ends open, making a tunnel, instead of a hide, that does not make a very secure turtle or tortoise. Having one end butt up against a wall is not going to give the animal a chance to climb out. If it actually does then I would suggest that you might need to change how you have that set up.
Also I am curious about what kind of substrate you have? It looks awfully red, and that makes me think about cedar. Here again, I'm not loaded with experience like some of you, but I did have 3 Sulcata hatchlings and I used pine/cedar shavings for the substrate and one hatchling was dead in the morning, the second one was blinded and it took 2 years of Vet treatments before he got partial vision in one eye and I found a better forever home for the third one. So if that is cedar/pine I think you should believe me when I say that can be very toxic[/u] to your chelonia...

this is the mulch i'm using.

khanvict

5 Year Member
some revisions:

- moved the heat/uv lamp to right side of enclosure
- added flagstone flat rock (can't really tell because of the glare but it's there)
- added patch of grass
- added a toy ball to play with
- reduced size of topsoil dish (was my water dish, need to get another one now so just using a paper plate with some water for the rest of the night)

Overview
j9mufq.jpg

Right View
2qkm3rn.jpg

Left View
2j2hmac.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.