Tortoise Cove House-n-Hide

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is a walk thru on the construction of the "Redfoot" House @ The Cove'

Now here is a “permanent” tortoise structure/house.

This building is 8x14x8. Built like real housing with 2x4 walls, 5/8 exterior T-11 siding and ply-ceiling… along with 1” Marine Plywood for the floors and thermo- foam underlayment. Including and thought out placement while in design, are 3 large 48” Doors massive hinges and locks, Skylight and operating window. The interior walls themselves are insulated with R-13 insulation and 5/8 OSB board. On the ceiling an additional ½” foil-backed (the one you see a lot on here – but has poor insulating factors) is used foil side exposed to radiate heat down back to the floor area The building itself sits off the ground on 8”Aluminum floor joist (which allows for any under building add on’s with ease in the future Ex; Plumbing/Electrical. On the inside the floor area was divided into two parts to keep from cross breeding (one for the Hypos and One for the Cherries). There is also an elevated enclosure about 5 feet up on the back wall- 2x8 within this set-up for quarantined/sick animals – to keep them away from the rest of the herd. The interior floors and walls (4 feet up) were wrapped with 40lb roofing felt to help aid with moisture problems. On top of this on the floor bottom were large tarps place –this helps considerably when doing a clean/change out of medium. Underground 4 large approx. 3x5 Kane mats to keep things warm….with heat rising naturally to the top. These are placed under smaller “hides” within the building itself. There is also added lights with vary sources of lights and heats that are used when need be and weather determines. Also overhead fluorescent lighting for the “human” occupants when in there. Medium consists of organic soil and green moss. The “hut” acts both as a refuge if they wasn’t during the day and night box but also a “nesting area” as there is grade of 18” depth of soil in some of the areas of the hut (the torts nest in there all the time). Fire alarms, Security and Thermostat/ Temp readings are all viewed/controlled and stored on a Hard drive which can be controlled from the main house.

"I've built as many as I have tore down" ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Here is a walk thru on the construction of the "Redfoot" House @ The Cove'

Now here is a “permanent” tortoise structure/house.

This building is 8x14x8. Built like real housing with 2x4 walls, 5/8 exterior T-11 siding and ply-ceiling… along with 1” Marine Plywood for the floors and thermo- foam underlayment. Including and thought out placement while in design, are 3 large 48” Doors massive hinges and locks, Skylight and operating window. The interior walls themselves are insulated with R-13 insulation and 5/8 OSB board. On the ceiling an additional ½” foil-backed (the one you see a lot on here – but has poor insulating factors) is used foil side exposed to radiate heat down back to the floor area The building itself sits off the ground on 8”Aluminum floor joist (which allows for any under building add on’s with ease in the future Ex; Plumbing/Electrical. On the inside the floor area was divided into two parts to keep from cross breeding (one for the Hypos and One for the Cherries). There is also an elevated enclosure about 5 feet up on the back wall- 2x8 within this set-up for quarantined/sick animals – to keep them away from the rest of the herd. The interior floors and walls (4 feet up) were wrapped with 40lb roofing felt to help aid with moisture problems. On top of this on the floor bottom were large tarps place –this helps considerably when doing a clean/change out of medium. Underground 4 large approx. 3x5 Kane mats to keep things warm….with heat rising naturally to the top. These are placed under smaller “hides” within the building itself. There is also added lights with vary sources of lights and heats that are used when need be and weather determines. Also overhead fluorescent lighting for the “human” occupants when in there. Medium consists of organic soil and green moss. The “hut” acts both as a refuge if they wasn’t during the day and night box but also a “nesting area” as there is grade of 18” depth of soil in some of the areas of the hut (the torts nest in there all the time). Fire alarms, Security and Thermostat/ Temp readings are all viewed/controlled and stored on a Hard drive which can be controlled from the main house.

"I've built as many as I have tore down" ;)
Nice work JD. What does the 18" of soil consist of, Anything special or is it just everyday top soil?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wonderful! :D I wish I could have something of the sort for Oli.;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Holy crap!!! I'm packing this week end, here I come, I could live there, it's beautiful. Nice work....
Why Thanks Maggie .....and I can use it as retreat for when I'm in the "Dog House" .....or my "second office":p
Packing? .....Where ya going?

M

Maggie Cummings

You've not responded, does that mean you are busy moving the Tortoise Cove before I get there? Haha
I like Texass, I have spent quite a bit of time there delivering. It's a great state except it takes a big truck 2 days to cross it, hitting numerous deer in the process, armadillos jumping at the damn truck. I lived in Oklahoma for a few years and I drove into Texass for something and an armadillo jumped at my IROC, my car is only 5 inches off the pavement, so my faring scooped him up and threw him about 100 feet where upon he hopped up and took off, interesting. The bugs in Texass are bigger then the ones in Florida. Bigass bugs. And they squeeze under your door then gain in size. Or you find them in your bed or shoes. The dust storms kinda suck. OK all that's the truth, but it does not bother me and Texas is one of my favorite states....:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Texas? Jeff is in California.

M

Maggie Cummings

Texas? Jeff is in California.

Oh good, I won't have to drive so far. I guess I confused Mike with Jeff. Sorry guys, but the brain is going.
I did wonder how he made such a lush green yard in Texas.