Tortoise companion advice

07921sarah

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice please I have a five year old female hermann tortoise and we were considering getting a second tortoise as a companion for her could anyone give me any advice on this subject please ie should they be the same sex, same age, same size (roughly) so that one isn't more dominant or can I get a younger tortoise?? Also most tortoises from breeders all seem to be about 1 year old can you buy tortoises older from breeders or would I be looking at re-homing? Any information will be very much appreciated x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises are solitary creatures. They don't need or want companions. They don't see other tortoises as companions or friends, they see them as intruders, attackers, and something to be driven off. In fact, pairs are worse case scenario and sexes don't matter. Males will attack other males or harass a female mercilessly. Females will sometimes go after other females too. In a large properly designed enclosure you can sometimes successfully keep them in groups with one male and several females, but even then it sometimes doesn't work out.

And don't forget the necessary lengthy quarantine period.

We all understand wanting another tortoise, but your tortoise doesn't want another tortoise in its enclosure. Just set up a second enclosure and house them individually. If you end up with a male and female you can briefly introduce them for breeding from time to time in the spring and make little baby hermanni.

07921sarah

5 Year Member
Thank you for the information Tom, the breeder we bought her from 4 1/2 years ago tried to encourage me to buy a pair but at the time I didn't feel confident enough in my ability to care for the tortoise to take on two and also it wasn't in my budget at the time but now after having very much enjoyed having her for all this time and her seemingly in good health I figured I must be doing it right but I of course don't want to unsettle her and by adding another tortoise and I don't think I can offer enough space to have more than a pair so I think we'll stick with one.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you for the information Tom, the breeder we bought her from 4 1/2 years ago tried to encourage me to buy a pair but at the time I didn't feel confident enough in my ability to care for the tortoise to take on two and also it wasn't in my budget at the time but now after having very much enjoyed having her for all this time and her seemingly in good health I figured I must be doing it right but I of course don't want to unsettle her and by adding another tortoise and I don't think I can offer enough space to have more than a pair so I think we'll stick with one.

Hello. Good thing you never took the second tort at the time, or you'd be dealing with I've had to: separating a mating pair. Or should I say, he tried relentlessly and she got so stressed that she shut down. I rescued them as adults a yr ago. Less than a month after getting them home, I had them separate enclosures--ie, double the real estate, so no more craft room for me :( --and they're MUCH happier and healthier now. The person who had them before said they had stopped growing already, but I was told they would indeed grow bigger. And they have! Imho, the stress of living together was stunting their growth.

Can we see pictures of your tort? :D

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

07921sarah

5 Year Member
I'm very pleased after reading this that I didn't go with the breeders recommendation I love my tortoise but I wouldn't want to have two complete seperate set ups, I'm glad your tortoises are happy and healthy and enjoying their seperate living spaces.
I'll attach images of lettuce ( that's the name you get when you allow your 3year old to choose lol). image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg Not the best pictures just what I have in my phone!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with all of the above!
Smart you for only getting one. Your tortoise looks very happy. So does the cat :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with all of the above!
Smart you for only getting one. Your tortoise looks very happy. So does the cat :)