Tortoise bit off foot HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyAbigail

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396509722.126305.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396509736.042016.jpg
This is McQueen, my other male tortoise used to bite him but stopped and now he has bottem off all McQueens claws and scales of his right back leg, is it worth going to the vets or will it heal on it's own?

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I hope you have separated them? I am not sure what you should do about a vet visit but these two torts can NOT live together. This one will eventually die if kept with the bully tort.

HollyAbigail

He's in the vet now getting treatment, and my boyfriend will keep him for a bit until I can find another home for him, so upset:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is why we always tell people two living together is usually never a good thing. Hope all turns out well. I'm sure it will.

HollyAbigail

Yeah but I see people breed so many, like up to fifeteen, I don't know my two can't get along as I brought them together and were previously kept together:/

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
It really is a crap shoot Holly. It is best to get more than two if you want more than one. Even then you can't be too sure. I keep multiples of all my torts and turts and have only ever had one issue with a hungry Russian biting another over a piece of radichio they both wanted. I seperated the combatants and have not had any issues since.

HollyAbigail

Yeah but I can't afford more than two. It's my choice, I'm keeping both and in the process of separately

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
HollyAbigail said:
Yeah but I can't afford more than two. It's my choice, I'm keeping both and in the process of separately

:) I have a hard time giving mine away as well. I get lots of baby box turtles every year and it kills me to turn them over so I completly understand. Seperating as babies is pretty cheap. Large plastic tubs can easily be converted and when and if you go outdoors with them one big pen with a divider is cheap as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

HollyAbigail

Yeah thinkin of using my old wardrobe , like a tortoise table with a mesh divider so they can see each other and it feels bigger for them but he can't bite him, what do you think?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If they can see each other the bullied tort will still be stressed. I would go with something they can not see through. Tortoises are not herd animals so they really don't need the company of others. In fact, they can down right hate having another in their territory. The wardrobe is a great idea. Many people use bookcases with reinforced backs as bottoms.

HollyAbigail

Yeah I'll defiantly need something thick and strong, but thanks for the tip of the divider:)

HollyAbigail

Oh Please!!! I'm a first time keeper , I wasn't to know better and I hardly use this forum, I have separated them and he's on antibiotics, he's getting the help he needs and it's nothing like you've described, there not together at all. Why do you have to make someone feel guilty for something that is done and over is not going help any situation ,

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Simmer down. If anyone is overreacting it's you. I'm a first time keeper too but since I know I am inexperienced I listen to the advice of the collective experience of the people here.
It's an emotionally charged situation, take a deep breath and realize that. Then when your injured tort comes home, keep them completely separate.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

HollyAbigail

Do you think if I watched it happen it would have happened
I woke up to it like that
And it's his claws and scales gone not his whole leg you can clearly see that in the photo. I simply asks for tips to heal it I have and have always had many animals. You can't critise how I do things with animals when you don't know anything about me, my animals or how I look after them, one thing went wrong.

HollyAbigail

My question when I opened this topic was whether he needed the vets or it would heal on it's own , as I'm unsure on their skin regrowth time period.

And yes we'll done that is one thing going wrong and his scales weren't really much protection were they.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Agreed... I don't find this place rubbish at all - it has helped me quite a bit as a new tort owner and I never get conflicting answers.... It's nice to talk to others who know what I'm going through. :)

HollyAbigail

I never forced them , I got them that way therefore thought they'd be fine as they had been the 2 previous years.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I'm sorry about your tort he'll pull through.

Status
Not open for further replies.