Tortoise Behavior in Earthquakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abaqus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed different behaviors with their tortoises during earthquakes. We had a significant earthquake in the Midwest this morning (5.4) and have had several aftershocks since then. I Have 3 tortoise hatchlings and they all seem uneasy and restless (still and its been 2 hours since the last one). Has anyone else observed anything like this?

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
my torts have been hiding all day. i don't know if it is because of the earthquake but i sure freaked out when my house started shaking in iowa. they said it could be felt all the way in south dakota. (Holy moly)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My blacks didn't come out for morning feeding but did come out about none. The rest acted normal. I slept thru it (two years in Alaska). Perhaps some of west coast friends have something to add.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
It would seem normal for them to feel even the slightest tremors they are so low to the ground and can even feel or hear my footsteps I am sure as they tuck into their shells when I walk by sometimes. I have not noted any significant differences in my torts here in CA, then maybe they are just use to them.

Hope everyone in the shake zone is OK.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
didn't feel anything in SoCal...i think we're way too far

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It was to be truthful nothing, just that most people don't realize that there is a fault here.

Abaqus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
It was to be truthful nothing, just that most people don't realize that there is a fault here.

Ha, tell my cats it was nothing....my face was used as a race track about 4 a.m. right before the quake.

Status
Not open for further replies.