Tortoise bath

blu rodriguez

Location (City and/or State)
LA California
How often should they have a bath. Mine loves a good soak I just don't know if I should do it as often as a few times a wee or as little as a few times a month. Also how often should I apply his lotionImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425318592.374376.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would soak one that size two or three times a week. More soaks won't hurt and as long as he's drinking you could get by with fewer.

I would skip the tortoise lotion. Just not needed. If he likes head and leg rubs, I would just use your hands with no product of any kind. Or you could use water.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Darling Tidgy likes a couple of baths a week, particularly when its very hot, or very cold! But if I bathe her everyday she seems to get a little stressed and tries to climb out. Usually, she stretches and yawns, drinks the water and often pees. Then I change the water! She also like to sit under the water tap on the terrace in our scorching Moroccan summer and let the water dribble slowly over her carapace. it gets in her eyes sometimes and she'll duck in, or give herself a quick rub with her legs, but she normally seems to enjoy this for about 10 minutes before she wanders off back into the sun, dries off and then heads for the shade.Simply adorable.

blu rodriguez

LA California
Quick question do turtles cry a few weeks ago my tort had what seems tears in his eyes was it too hot for him? Or maybe something in his eyes he was outside when it happened

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Quick question do turtles cry a few weeks ago my tort had what seems tears in his eyes was it too hot for him? Or maybe something in his eyes he was outside when it happened

One of the common names for sulcatas is "The Crying Tortoise". There is a really good out of print sulcata book with that title.

jeffb

5 Year Member
tortoises sweat from their eyes, they have no other place to emit sweat from

jeffb

5 Year Member
How often should they have a bath. Mine loves a good soak I just don't know if I should do it as often as a few times a wee or as little as a few times a month. Also how often should I apply his lotionView attachment 120439
I use that exact brand on my salcutta, I apply it once a month to his head, and front and hind legs, you can apply it once in while to his shell, his shell will absorb it and it will moisten. The tortoise will love the feeling of the moisture and not feeling so dry all the time. If you spent time in the bath and under your heat lamps all the time you would appreciate a little moisturizer to your body sometime. Just keep in mind when you apply it to his shell its going to block some of the uva and uvb light that he needs on his shell. So after a couple days, I put my salcutta back in the bath and take a bristled brush and gently scrub and rinse. Repeat this procedure a few times and it will remove the moisturizer. Then wait another three or four weeks before reapplying to his shell. But you will see how he will like this, mine always looks like he feels like a million bucks!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How often should they have a bath. Mine loves a good soak I just don't know if I should do it as often as a few times a wee or as little as a few times a month. Also how often should I apply his lotionView attachment 120439
I saw the above lotion at a store, but did not buy it. I have a Greek tort, and would like to ask you: has it done any good?

I'd very much appreciate an answer. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just keep in mind when you apply it to his shell its going to block some of the uva and uvb light that he needs on his shell.

I don't believe this to be correct either. Have you somehow tested this theory? What is the SPF of this tortoise product? Even SPF 80 lotion for humans only blocks the UV rays for a few hours...

And D3 synthesis in tortoises is believed to happen in the skin, not the shell.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I don't use Vita Shell becasue I don't care for the igredient list, especially the alchohol and dye. There is a thread in Advanced Topics on Coconut Oil that might be worth looking at. It is long, full of debate, and detailed explanations of possible benefits as well as drawbacks.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I love vita shell on my calloused heels. Good for cuticles. I don't like it softening my guitar callouses, though. For tortoises: when one of mine made a tv commercial she had done on. Otherwise, no.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Maybe I'll use it on Tidgy so she thinks she's doing a TV commercial.
I'm sure that'll boost her self-esteem if nothing else.
Pity my poor old gulf coast turtle who failed the audition. His shell is flat and chewed, he's missing all the toes on one front foot, his coloring is drab... Flora the EBT won the part.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hollywood!
Always pick the prettiest one, never mind the talent!
I don't know.