tortoise bath time ??

immiexxo

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey,

I've been bathing my tort however I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing and how long for.

I'll attach 2 pics of the things I bath Percy in, the tin one I sit him in for a longer amount of time and the round one is the one he can go in and out as he pleases.

What should tortoise bath times consist of and how often should I be bathing a 5 year old Hermanns.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Snapchat--2228264148447274569.jpg
    Snapchat--2228264148447274569.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • Snapchat--4733974894109330341.jpg
    Snapchat--4733974894109330341.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A 5 year old I would you 2 times a week 20 minutes of time remember most tortoises hate it but it essential to good health a hydrated tortoise is a healthy one

immiexxo

UK
A 5 year old I would you 2 times a week 20 minutes of time remember most tortoises hate it but it essential to good health a hydrated tortoise is a healthy one

So do I just leave him to soak in the water for 20 mins? X

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
yes sorry I should have explained more. leave them in there

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
make sure it's warm

Keith D.

Arizona
I would soak him anywhere from 30 min to a hour if he is like my torts and don't mind the soaking. And if I remember right you just got him not to long ago and are dealing with him having pyramiding so I would soak him daily for a couple months the bring it down to 2 or 3 times a week. The roasting pan is a decent choice to soak him in, I would probably do it in a solid colored Rubbermaid tote or like I do, in the kitchen sink (of course then I clean the sinks with bleach when I'm done). Your water dish is correct also. I use tepid water to soak my torts (water temp that you would use for a baby). Your doing great Immie, keep up the good work and keep asking questions :)

immiexxo

UK
I would soak him anywhere from 30 min to a hour if he is like my torts and don't mind the soaking. And if I remember right you just got him not to long ago and are dealing with him having pyramiding so I would soak him daily for a couple months the bring it down to 2 or 3 times a week. The roasting pan is a decent choice to soak him in, I would probably do it in a solid colored Rubbermaid tote or like I do, in the kitchen sink (of course then I clean the sinks with bleach when I'm done). Your water dish is correct also. I use tepid water to soak my torts (water temp that you would use for a baby). Your doing great Immie, keep up the good work and keep asking questions :)

Thank you, it's nice to hear I'm not doing too bad haha.
I will use a rubber maid tote as he does try to get out after five minutes or so so this will enable him to stay soaked for longer. Thank you for the advice.

I've been using lukewarm water just up to his neck, is this too shallow?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
no it should be fine you want just to cover right up to the plasrlton

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
All sounds excellent to me, though I agree that for now 15 to 20 minutes a day may be in order.
Nice photos, too.

immiexxo

UK
He always tries to get out, shall I just leave him in there for the 20 minutes anyway? I'm just worried about stressing him out x

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They don't all like it, many torts hate being soaked, but I'm afraid it's a necessary evil and they have to put up with it, as do you.
He will get stressed a bit, but should get more used to it after a while..
The higher the sides the better so they can't see or climb out.

Keith D.

Arizona
He always tries to get out, shall I just leave him in there for the 20 minutes anyway? I'm just worried about stressing him out x
Get yourself a high sided Rubbermaid tote that isn't see through and that should help keep him stress free.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Leave him there the 20 minutes. The climbing out helps to keep his innards working well. I'd go with a “real" temp reading of around 73°-79°f so you always know if something's changed or not. That's just me though.

immiexxo

UK
Thank you!
One last thing (I think! Sorry!) Do I need to be washing his shell as such? Or soaking it?
Or is it okay just to let him soak for the whole time x

immiexxo

UK
Get yourself a high sided Rubbermaid tote that isn't see through and that should help keep him stress free.

I have one I just never thought of using it. My common sense is minimal haha

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oops. I also use the laundry room sink for soaks. Zero chance of climbing out of it and then easy to clean once the inevitable does happen.

Keith D.

Arizona
I have one I just never thought of using it. My common sense is minimal haha
Lol Immie your to much, I really do love having you here on TFO. You can gently brush his shell with a soft toothbrush if you like. My torts love it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I wash the shell, just with my (clean) hands, to gently remove dust and grime.
Some use a soft toothbrush, but be careful of new growth that can be very sensitive.