Tortoise attached

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Innoway yes. My tortoise knows that I bring food, but does not react the same to strangers. My tortoise is not shy and will eat out of other peoples hands if they are giving her her favorite food but she will not come up to them when they come to her enclosure. and my tortoise acts differently when I hold her compared to other people. She is calm and doesn't try to pull into her show at all.I even think my tortoise knows what my alarm clock means. Now before you laugh hear me out :)I don't have my lights on timers yet so when my alarm first goes off in the morning I put the dog out and then head straight to turn on the lights for the tortoise. A few minutes later she comes out of her hide and goes under the basking light. if I change up my routine, the alarm goes off and I do not turn on the lights relatively immediately, when I finally get around to it my tortoise is out of her hide and sitting under the light waiting for it to be turned on.and if I'm even lazier about it she goes and stares at her food bowl.it's hilarious. So as far as bonding or having some sort of "relationship" I think that all depends on your definition.they definitely interact and they definitely can learn routines.and I also think they can recognize our voice compared to other people.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
All I know is if I put Mazuri in the food spot, if I don't get my fingers out of the way fast enough there is a chomp coming. Really, he will chase after my hand until I pull out of range then he'll go after the food. I've never harmed my tort in any way. It's just he's all about the food. I guess.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
I've noticed the same thing. I don't know about the alarm clock because I can't see into his enclosure since it's all wood but the stranger thing I agree with. And unless he's tiered he doesn't really enjoy other ppl

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
All I know is if I put Mazuri in the food spot, if I don't get my fingers out of the way fast enough there is a chomp coming. Really, he will chase after my hand until I pull out of range then he'll go after the food. I've never harmed my tort in any way. It's just he's all about the food. I guess.
I think they associate your fingers with food. Mine has never bitten me on purpose. Just when I feed her by hand and my fingers get too close. She tried once when I was poking around at some loose skin on the side of her head. Some people say you should never hand feed your tortoise, I understand why they say that but I still choose to do it once in a while. oh and I just put my lights on timers tonight so we'll see if they come on in the morning.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
nope not sparky, he just don't give a dam. he takes no notice of any one unless you move suddenly then he pull in to his shell for a couple seconds, if you try to hand feed him he just looks at it until you put it down. i'm sure he considers himself superior and people are not worthy of his attention. the little snob :rolleyes: . but we love him and that's all that matters lol.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yes and no. I like to think my Nank loves me and misses me when i'm not around and is attached, but technically reptilian brains don't have those parts, so years down the line when they outlive us, in theory they'll get used to the new owner in the same.
But! Nank is definitely something to me, he knows me, he knows MY voice, he comes out when I say good morning or hello, he knows I feed him and is less shy around me than others, he feels when i'm sad and will sit on me and just look at me head outstretched just looking into my eyes, when normally if I "snuggle" he'll tuck himself in on my chest and nap. (we don't always snuggle but sometimes I need some Nank snuggles!) So I do believe theres a bond that's more than one sided, I dust don't fully comprehend the how with their brains not having the typical parts that would have the bond.
<3

RoseHeart

South Africa
Yeah sometimes I feel that way... I pick my little guy up, hold him close to my face and then talk to him, then he brings his face out too and just stares into my eyes while I talk. Sometimes he'll start going back in slowly but as soon as I start speaking again he comes back out :') It's so cute. I don't do this often though. Oh and sometimes when I'm sitting outside or more specifically laying down on the grass he'll walk around me but that's about it.

Ida

Yes I believe my DT Ms Ida comes to me when she sees me, exspesaly when I have food.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I believe my box turtle knows who I am and that I bring the food. I do not believe she is attached to me though.

Alaskamike

South Florida
When my daughter was a freshman in college in the dorms. They were not allowed animals. She found a wood snail one morning and " adopted it". Kept Sally( that's what she called it:). In a 5 gal aquarium.

I swear that snail knew her. If anyone else picked up the snail he would stay curled up in his shell. But if she picked Sally up , she immediately came out and started crawling on her hand. It was amazing.

But .... She often hand fed it bits of grass. Over time she found what it liked. That snail became famous at her school. I believe she had Sally for about 4 years when she passed ( probably of old age :).

My point is , animals ( and apparently eve,n snails) recognize where their needs come from , be it heat, light, food, shelter or water. No way to prove it , but I suspect we project our human emotions on to them to understand behavior ....

Do they recognize us? I believe they do. We are a source of a need.
Are they happy , sad, attached, depressed, lonely, "in love" ,jealous, I doubt ......

But ... Usually there is no harm in personifying our torts. As long as it doesn't lead to wrong choices for their health and well being. An example of this is when you decide that your tort is lonely. The don't get lonely. - we do.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When my daughter was a freshman in college in the dorms. They were not allowed animals. She found a wood snail one morning and " adopted it". Kept Sally( that's what she called it:). In a 5 gal aquarium.

I swear that snail knew her. If anyone else picked up the snail he would stay curled up in his shell. But if she picked Sally up , she immediately came out and started crawling on her hand. It was amazing.

But .... She often hand fed it bits of grass. Over time she found what it liked. That snail became famous at her school. I believe she had Sally for about 4 years when she passed ( probably of old age :).

My point is , animals ( and apparently eve,n snails) recognize where their needs come from , be it heat, light, food, shelter or water. No way to prove it , but I suspect we project our human emotions on to them to understand behavior ....

Do they recognize us? I believe they do. We are a source of a need.
Are they happy , sad, attached, depressed, lonely, "in love" ,jealous, I doubt ......

But ... Usually there is no harm in personifying our torts. As long as it doesn't lead to wrong choices for their health and well being. An example of this is when you decide that your tort is lonely. The don't get lonely. - we do.

Love this post!!!!:)

There is a wonderful little book called "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" that your daughter might enjoy. It's a true story. Briefly, a young woman is stricken with a horrible virus that leaves her with profound, debilitating fatigue- she has to have care givers in the home just to survive. A friend finds a wild snail and brings it to her to keep as a pet. The meaning that the relationship WITH A SNAIL imparts, is a beautiful testament to human capacity for love when we don't judge. :p

Alaskamike

South Florida
Love this post!!!!:)

There is a wonderful little book called "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" that your daughter might enjoy. It's a true story. Briefly, a young woman is stricken with a horrible virus that leaves her with profound, debilitating fatigue- she has to have care givers in the home just to survive. A friend finds a wild snail and brings it to her to keep as a pet. The meaning that the relationship WITH A SNAIL imparts, is a beautiful testament to human capacity for love when we don't judge. :p
I'll have to get her that book :)
When Sally died. The girls in that dorm had a funeral for her. My daughter cried.
One of the girls wrote a poem and read it at her burial under a tree. I remembered the poem because it was so cute ....

Here lies Sally the snail
Without fur or wagging tail
But loved she was
And just because
She was there everyday
Without fail

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob will follow me anywhere and won't leave me alone ever. If I am sitting he tries to climb on me (He's 112 pounds). He acts like he loves me....BUT....
I know I am just the Food Goddess

Prairie Mom

I think this is an interesting post and have been reading a bit of what members have said on this subject here and on other threads. I believe the question about whether tortoises can form an attachment or bond with their caregivers is totally separate from "does my tortoise have all the same emotions and needs as a person?," and "does my tortoise love me?" I think the remarks members have made about this are spot on.

I do believe that tortoises and many other animals are capable of forming attachments to their primary caregivers and assume that, based on their brain power, will be able to form and relate those attachments on different levels. I think that as the Primary caregiver, our torts can learn that we are more than just providers of food (but this is so incredibly important!!!), we are safe, we provide for their physical needs, even provide interesting experiences if we're good tort owners, and ultimately these animals can learn to TRUST that we will do this over and over again, and maybe, if we're really lucky, they might even decide it's beneficial-even preferable- to be in our company.

I'm really hesitant to bring up humans (don't jump on me, I'm feeling sick today!!!) :D, but even human infants, don't arrive in the world feeling love for their mothers. If all goes well, they learn to TRUST that their needs will be met and then go on to develop higher emotions toward their parent. I believe the bonding process has everything to do with trust, feelings of safety, and consistently providing for their needs. My vote is YES, torts can form a bond with us and even prefer to be near us. Same as people? Other animals?-NO, but a bond, none the less.

Last edited: