TORTOISE AND MIRRORS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeluxy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Everyone

This may sound a bit of a strange thread but heres the question....I recently got a small Mirror and placed in my Torts enclosure.

He now spends ages staring at himself in the mirror and "pushing" at the mirror!!

I was just wondering if this is a bit of harmless fun for him or if this might be considered "not the done thing" by some owners!!

Im aware that Torts in the wild are solitary creatures and/or if he recognises the image as himself or as some "intruder"

Just for the Record my Tort is the elderly (or young depending on how you look at it!!) 40+ year old hermanns

Look forward to any comments :)

Mike

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I think he sees image in the mirror as an intruder (male no less) and trying to chase it away. He's king of his world and wants to stay that.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort said:
I think he sees image in the mirror as an intruder (male no less) and trying to chase it away. He's king of his world and wants to stay that.

I agree. I think it may be causing him stress as he can not chase the intruder away. Males are agressive to each other and each move he makes the other male makes. Just my opinion.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
But you know, you s hould probably get a video of it before you never do it again! :p That DOES have to be kinda cute to see!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
cvalda said:
But you know, you s hould probably get a video of it before you never do it again! :p That DOES have to be kinda cute to see!

LOL

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Make sure he doesnt break the mirror!
I had a tort that was not active and didnt eat much.. tried different things. A friend gave my a little turtle figurine.. I placed it in the enclosure.. The tort didnt pay much attention to it, but it 'woke' up and started eating more! Competition?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.