Tortoise and centipede

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I was outside filling the plant saucers with water in hatchback's outside enclosure, when I found a centipede under one of the saucers. I tried to catch it, but it got away. It was yellow and about 2' long. It looks like the photo of Garden Centipedes I just looked up online. I have looked everywhere in the enclosure and can not find it. I hate to have Hatch (one year old Russian) miss out on his outdoor time. Is it safe to put him out not knowing if it is still in there? The enclosure is only 4' by 8' so it is a fairly small space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Some centipedes bite, but I don't really worry about my tortoises and bugs.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne. I ended up putting him outside and he was just fine. I probably sounded silly, but I am crazy about Hatchback and would hate to see him suffer unnecessarily.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Saw a similar thread elsewhere on here recently.
Consensus was, don't worry.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I feel silly now, but at the time I was worried about him being stung. At a year he is still a little thing.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't feel silly, it is better to care and worry about your tort than the alternative.
Most of us go into panic at the slightest change, sneeze, blink or variation in behaviour.
It's parenthood.

JosieTort

Texas
If you feel silly then I should too! I was just about to post same concern when I saw your post lol. There were 2 large ones under her water bowl a few days ago, one of which I caught, one got away. As of this morning, there are little dirt mounds all over her outdoor enclosure and after digging a little bit, saw tiny little centipedes/millipedes (idk the difference and my eyes aren't good enough to count legs & segments haha!) I'm still debating whether or not to let her down out of her box??