Tortoise advice needed

Linzi1977

Hi I've just celebrated my 40th birthday!
I've always wanted a tortoise as a pet, I'm thinking a tortoise table is better than a viv? I'm also unsure of what tortoise to get, age, species etc, also is it best to get 2 so they have company? Also where am I best going to get one so I don't get ripped off, I have tried to research all of this on the internet but there's so much conflicting information, so thought I'd be better asking the experts and advice will be great fully received, thank you! X

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What species is right for you depends on where in the world you live, how much money you want to spend, how much space you have, and what your preferences are (do you want a tortoise that hibernates in the winter? do you want a tortoise that is a vegetarian or an omnivore? Do you want a tortoise that is mainly active at dawn and dusk or the middle of the day? Any other things you have in mind that you think of are needed tortoise qualities.)

Linzi1977

What species is right for you depends on where in the world you live, how much money you want to spend, how much space you have, and what your preferences are (do you want a tortoise that hibernates in the winter? do you want a tortoise that is a vegetarian or an omnivore? Do you want a tortoise that is mainly active at dawn and dusk or the middle of the day? Any other things you have in mind that you think of are needed tortoise qualities.)
Thanks for the reply! I live in the uk, I don't want to spend too much and I'd like a vegetarian preferably that's most active in the middle of the day, I have plenty of space so size wouldn't be an issue :)

Northern California
Russians are pretty easy to find at most pet stores, hermanns and Greeks are a bit harder. Really it depends on where you live. Either breeder or specialty reptile stores are good, but there is no one perfect place. Usually chain pet stores aren't the best and a breeder is better, but there are good pet stores and bad breeders. Do research into the places you might want to buy a tortoise and visit those places to see if the tortoises are healthy and well cared for.

Linzi1977

I really do appreciate all of your help and advice, im thinking a horsefield or a hermann x

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians are pretty easy to find at most pet stores, hermanns and Greeks are a bit harder. Really it depends on where you live. Either breeder or specialty reptile stores are good, but there is no one perfect place. Usually chain pet stores aren't the best and a breeder is better, but there are good pet stores and bad breeders. Do research into the places you might want to buy a tortoise and visit those places to see if the tortoises are healthy and well cared for.
Here in the UK things are a little different.

Hermann's and Greeks are most commonly available. Those sold by pet stores are definitely not wild caught and will be very young. You will be given papers confirming your tort's origin.

I too would avoid the big pet stores... basically Pets at Home as the chances of anyone working there having proper knowledge of torts is minimal.

Get your setup advice from here NOT the place of purchase. Smaller independent pet stores are more likely to have well raised youngsters.

When buying look for shiny eyes, a humid setup and ask questions about the origins of the tort. If in doubt, come back to us to check.

Linzi1977

I've been tortoise hunting today, is it just me or are people more interested in making a bit of money than making sure the tortoises go to a good home? It made me a little sad

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've been tortoise hunting today, is it just me or are people more interested in making a bit of money than making sure the tortoises go to a good home? It made me a little sad
Why do people trust the TFO members info . But want to go else where to buy the tort ? And then wonder why their tort is less then well ? I wish people would charge more to make sher the tort goes to someone who cares about the tort !

Linzi1977

I was referring to pet shops, they knew I wasn't very educated about tortoises they were trying to sell me heat mats and heated rocks ( I remember reading not to use them) I don't mind paying for the tortoise I just felt awkward in the pet shop today, I came out all confused and without a tortoise, this isn't something I'm going to rush into I need to do some more research

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I was referring to pet shops, they knew I wasn't very educated about tortoises they were trying to sell me heat mats and heated rocks ( I remember reading not to use them) I don't mind paying for the tortoise I just felt awkward in the pet shop today, I came out all confused and without a tortoise, this isn't something I'm going to rush into I need to do some more research

I would suggest getting the enclosure set up, if you haven't already. Working on the enclosure will allow for more research, and will make you feel more confident upon acquiring the tortoise.