Tortie Newbie Intro

vmenagerie

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
Hello everyone! I'm V, and I'm a brand new tortoise owner, though I have wanted tortoises for the better part of 30 years, just had to wait until I had the space. I recently got three well-started hatchlings, a Redfoot named Bernadette, a Cherry Head Red Foot named Bishop, and an Elongated named Bronte. (Of course they are too young to sex yet, but I am gave them female names and will call them she/her until proven otherwise. :) ). As my username suggests, I am fortunate to have quite the menagerie at my house, and I'm so delighted to finally have the space and funds to support my pet habit. I have dogs, cats, lizards, snakes, fish, tarantulas, and now my tortoise babies. Currently they are being kept in a setup in my garage, which is a finished garage, complete with heater and a/c (though I'm not running the a/c), and temps are perfect for these guys with the addition of UV, basking light, and CHE at night. On warm enough days, they'll get to have some outdoor time, and I'll be building them an outdoor enclosure for them to use when they get older. It does get quite cold here, so I plan to move them indoors for winter. I have tried to do my best research, but I'm also eager to learn from all of you. I'm so happy to be a tortie mom! :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
indeed, i wish i had so much space!
You are very fortunate.
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Photos would be nice if you could manage it.

vmenagerie

Iowa, USA
One of the best parts about being a childless spinster is that I have all the space in my yard and home to myself to do with as I wish, no convincing anyone else! lol I am very fortunate, you are right. And I've been very patient for the last few decades waiting for this much space. :) I'll figure out how to upload pics and post shots of my cuties. I only intended to get one, but, well, I'm sure you all know how these things happen. :)

vmenagerie

Iowa, USA

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings V,
Welcome to the Forum! We are happy you've found us. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding on Yvonne's part for her to think you were keeping them all together, trust me though, lately it seems we've been spending lots of time with new people convincing them that, "no their tortoise isn't lonely and doesn't want a friend".
Bounce around on here. Questions? Ask. Answers? Answer. Head over to the "Pretend Chat 2.14" thread and get to know many of us. Welcome to TFo_Org. We need good folks like you.

vmenagerie

Iowa, USA
Sorry, I guess I'm bad at reading tone online. :) Just wanted to make sure everyone knows I'm doing the best for my babies.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.

Though I've always had many animals , and rescued a few tortoises down the years , it wasn't till I retired to Florida that my " herd " and interest in tortoises could really take hold. It was here on the forum I learned some of the puzzle pieces missing in my care.

Hope all goes well for you & your charges. We are always happy to see dedicated "animal" folks here.

BornInTheBoot

DeRidder, La
How does my baby sulcata look? I just saved it yesterday from a local pet store that definitely wasn't raising it right. He had no source of heat at all. No hides. No humidity at all. It was terrible. Btw this is my first tort. And I'm no expert but the life I'm giving him is way better than that pet stores. If y'all will just let me know how he looks id really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 1500386777686.jpg
    1500386777686.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1500386830896.jpg
    1500386830896.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 13
  • 1500386843460.jpg
    1500386843460.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1500386867000.jpg
    1500386867000.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 13

Alaskamike

South Florida
How does my baby sulcata look? I just saved it yesterday from a local pet store that definitely wasn't raising it right. He had no source of heat at all. No hides. No humidity at all. It was terrible. Btw this is my first tort. And I'm no expert but the life I'm giving him is way better than that pet stores. If y'all will just let me know how he looks id really appreciate it.
It would be best if you restarted this as a new thread in "Introductions".

You'll get more replies that way. Thanks.