Tort Talk??

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Ok, here goes one of my weird questions. As you may know, i have recently received several new torts. We are going through the quarantine process, so they are all separated in tubs. They are all in the same room.

So, in the last couple days since i added the two new girls, i have noticed a couple of them seem to be talking??? I have heard the croaks and sqeeks they make before, so the sound isnt unusual. (One of my torts is a real talker, always croaking at me). What is unusual is the frequency of it, as before it was occassional...but now with the new girl in the room, it happens a lot now.

My question is, even though they are in separate tubs, do they know each other are there?....furthering that, is it likely they are communicating via this "talking"? It really seems like an active conversation going on, its kinda cool.

Sorry if this is a reduliculous question, if it is please excuse me, im still a newbie and tort group dynamics and behavior are very new to me.

Thanks as always :)

TZ

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, really dumb, you should bury your head in sand:p :D. I am only kidding, truely, I just couldn't pass it up:D
It was a great ? and I would like to here opinions, too. My opinion, is I do think,they know each other is there and they are probably talking it up, trying to claim territory or scare the others out of it. I don't know if there has been any studies of their sounds, to be able to know which each one means.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I think that's a great question!! During the winter months I have my sulcata and my red foots in the same room. (Different enclosures!!) and I have wondered the same thing, mine are not as talkative but they do start 'running' around their enclosures and making noise at the same time (random times each day) So my answer would be a yes, let's see what others have to say!

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hehe...thanks kids ;)

Well, im probably as un-scuentific as one could be, so I am certainly not the one anybody wants recording this stuff, lol. But, what I can tell you is these guys have been singing up a storm for the last couple of days. It is really quite funny, I'll see if I can catch a little snippet of it.... This just keeps getting better and better, lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could do a little unscientific study. Record the sound and write what they are doing, at different times of the day. You never know what you might figure out. Besides, I would live to hear it.