Tort safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderreyy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Dimas, CA
I have a gopher problem. I need to get this resolved. I purchased some powder thats supposed to chase them away. Its 89% dried blood and 11% dried red chile. Does this or will this pose any problems for my desert tort as he roams the yard. I dont think it will, but hey, what do I know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise is sensitive to that stuff in the same way the gophers are. I would not use it.

There is a very effective trap called "The Black Box". It's made by Victor, if I remember correctly. Any how the things work like a charm. Follow the directions othe package and WHAMMO! You will not have any more gophers. Because the trap element is buried and the tortoise does not have access to it, I feel it's relatively safe to use in their pens. I have been using them in my sulcata pens now for a while, and they are very effective.

EKLC

5 Year Member
On a side note, I thought reptiles weren't affected by capsaicin, can anyone confirm this?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
EKLC said:
On a side note, I thought reptiles weren't affected by capsaicin, can anyone confirm this?

I looked into this a long while back. Most are not, but some do have receptors for binding. It does not seem like my tortoises are negatively affected, but tortoise species I do not keep may not have similar tolerance (although they are more likely similar than different, I think, given my range of species). I feed my animals all sorts of mild to super-intense peppers, although I do not pepper spray their mouths or anything that extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.