tort doesn't seem to eat!? :(

Alyce

Hey.

My Herman doesn't seem to be eating..... anything. ... weeds.... greens.... nothing.

She's at correct temps and seems happy......

Any ideas??? Or favourites to try.... tried the dandies and just turns around.... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Then it's probably not warm enough. Cover the top to keep the cool air from the house out of the habitat. And welcome to the Forum!!

Alyce

Always been led to believe not to cover due to ventilation? ???

Substrate is a tort top soil mix and it's about 2inches thick.... varying throughout like undulations terrain .....

Alyce

See below

Attachments

• 20150903_125241.jpg
    20150903_125241.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 25

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Always been led to believe not to cover due to ventilation? ???

Substrate is a tort top soil mix and it's about 2inches thick.... varying throughout like undulations terrain .....

I would make a couple of changes if it were me..I would first remove the pebbles..no need for them and they can prove an impaction risk..I also would remove that bulb you have and either replace it with a long tube uvb bulb along with a heat source..those bulbs you are using are a risk for eye burn and they throw off unstable rays and that can affect the overall well being of the tort..plus that fixture is incorrect for that style of bulb..I also would increase the depth of the substrate to 5 to 6 inches and I would be sure to hand pack down the substrate to give firm surface for the little one to develop strong leg muscles..now the covering the top is alright..however, some will seal the entire top airtight in belief that is the only way to achieve a healthy shell..I personally believe that if you cover at least half to most of the top you will be fine..just be sure to recheck temps if you do cover the top as the covering will offer heat retention so you will want to adjust your heat source to take that into account...you can also add/pour some water into the soil under the basking/heat source as this will generate some added humidity without causing cold wet spots in the cooler area of the enclosure..again, those are just things I would do if it were me....

Alyce

Hi thanks :)

Okay so the bulb is what came with her.... along with the fitting! ! But okay..... how and where to attach a uvb light and heat source? ??

Also .... how can I cover the top when the heat source is the basking light. ..??

I already wet the soil :)

Thank you :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi thanks :)

Okay so the bulb is what came with her.... along with the fitting! ! But okay..... how and where to attach a uvb light and heat source? ??

Also .... how can I cover the top when the heat source is the basking light. ..??

I already wet the soil :)

Thank you :)

Well..I see you are not in the United States so I don't know if you use the same named equipment..so here in the US there is a fixture commonly used for chicken coops...it is a chicken brooding light fixture, which is a element that has a ceramic base where the bulb screws into and a metal hood..it can either be suspended over the enclosure by hanging from a stand or if your enclosure is against a wall you can install a plant hanging arm against the back wall ..but make sure the hanger is at appropriate height taking into account the hanging fixture....the actual end goal is to have the fixture hang shining directly down and not from the side or at an angle..

While it is not the most fashionable, aluminum foil sheets are a great material to use to cover the enclosure top..again, not necessary to cover the entire top so you can work around where the fixture will hang over...I apologize for not attaching pics, but I am using a mini touch tablet and not my laptop..and I am not so tech savy with this tablet....