Topsoil and peat moss = mud pit?

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto ON
After reading recommendations here, we decided to go with topsoil and sphagnum moss. And then didn't realise that there was a difference between sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss (because the French labels don't distinguish). But somehow, even as I was setting up the tank, I didn't realise that the first thing she would do is track dirt everywhere and her food dish and water bowl would end up a mud pit.

Is there a way to prevent this? Should we cover the topsoil with a layer of something? I have some reptibark leftover from the last substrate switch. I've included some pictures so we can get some advice on how to improve.

Right now we've got a UVB bulb (not one of the coil ones) and a ceramic heater, and our temps are usually 70 on the cool side and 85-90 on the warm side, and we keep it at 70% humidity. She's a redfoot, about 11 months old.

IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0386.JPG

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You can put smooth rocks, that she cannot eat,around the food and water bowl.
You can put other substrate around the food and water.
Tortoises do create a dirty world in their environment, your's looks darn good!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It's pretty impossible to "dirt-proof" the food and water dishes (and if there's a way, you're a genius and please tell me your secret). However, to keep it a little cleaner, I do mulch around the dishes or put down long-fiber sphagnum moss to act as a rug. The dishes still get a bit dirty.. there's no getting around that, but they're washed on a daily basis. If you get frustrated at the mess, just look at how adorable your tort looks with substrate all over him/her :p

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
My guys make dirt soup then poop in it, everyday. I just change their water 2x, daily.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I mix zoo Med Forest Floor with coconut coir. Under that is topsoil.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408242375.963131.jpg I pour water in the corners every couple days to keep it moist. The top layer stays reasonably dry and there's no mud.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I mix zoo Med Forest Floor with coconut coir. Under that is topsoil. I pour water in the corners every couple days to keep it moist. The top layer stays reasonably dry and there's no mud.

That's a good way to do it, Christina.

May, Aussies, & THBs

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Well Pao doesn't do the poop but dirt soup is pretty accurate . . .

Earlier she was stomping around looking like Swamp Thing, I don't think I've seen her so happy. Now she's buried in the mud taking a nap.
She feels at home! Hehe. I think that once the substrate dries up a bit, it won't be so muddy.

Btw, do you have a kiddy pool for her? She might enjoy it and it's a good way to get her cleaned up. RFs are great swimmers.

May, Aussies, & THBs

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
Part of the reason we wanted to switch to topsoil is that it's a lot more affordable than the pet store substrate. And coconut coir and cypress mulch are both special-order things from the hardware (grrr). But if it would help with the mud I think it might be worth it.

We do soak her almost daily, but no kiddie pool yet. Would the bathtub work for swimming?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I buy my substrate on amazon, I usually find it cheaper there. I didn't have to clean my enclosure from March until now. (And the only reason I changed it is because I changed their enclosure into a bigger one.) and I've never had SMELLS.

The soil has earthworms, pill bugs, and common black beetles. They're my cleaning crew! :D

Also, my Reds consistently go potty during their soak. They almost never go in their enclosure.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Part of the reason we wanted to switch to topsoil is that it's a lot more affordable than the pet store substrate. And coconut coir and cypress mulch are both special-order things from the hardware (grrr). But if it would help with the mud I think it might be worth it.

We do soak her almost daily, but no kiddie pool yet. Would the bathtub work for swimming?

I'm sure that once the excess water evaporates and the substrate packs down some more, she won't get so muddy. My guys don't get that muddy, anymore.

Yes, the tub would work well. I like the kiddy poor because I can take it outside in the sunshine and I don't need to scrub it before and after.

May, Aussies, & THBs

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'm sure that once the excess water evaporates and the substrate packs down some more, she won't get so muddy. My guys don't get that muddy, anymore.

That is, if they don't poop in it. :D

May, Aussies, & THBs

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
The topsoil does seem to be holding the humidity in better than I expected it would. One more question, then, while I have you - how often should I be changing out the soil completely?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
The topsoil does seem to be holding the humidity in better than I expected it would. One more question, then, while I have you - how often should I be changing out the soil completely?
Once a year, depending on how big the tortoise and the enclosure are. I always remove their poop, when I find it on the substrate.

I wish I could throw some night crawlers or red wigglers in there to help keep the soil cleaner, but my torts might eat them.

May, Aussies, & THBs

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think some people do a complete change every year. I think it depends, though. I have yet to change mine out since my enclosure is pretty large and heavily planted. I usually end up adding more substrate, instead, since the existing stuff breaks down fairly quick.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I think some people do a complete change every year. I think it depends, though. I have yet to change mine out since my enclosure is pretty large and heavily planted. I usually end up adding more substrate, instead, since the existing stuff breaks down fairly quick.
Plants do help with cleaning the soil. You probably won't to change at all, especially if your plants are well established. When I upgrade my enclosures, I'm going to put in lots of plants.

May, Aussies, & THBs

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Plants do help with cleaning the soil. You probably won't to change at all, especially if your plants are well established. When I upgrade my enclosures, I'm going to put in lots of plants.

May, Aussies, & THBs

Well, plants kinda complicate things. My enclosure is solid so, I have no false bottom to help drain water out. This means that I try to keep fertilizers at a minimum to delay excess salt build-up in the substrate. I'm sure by next year or the year after, I'll have to flush the whole thing out which, I can guarantee you, won't be a fun task :p

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Well, plants kinda complicate things. My enclosure is solid so, I have no false bottom to help drain water out. This means that I try to keep fertilizers at a minimum to delay excess salt build-up in the substrate. I'm sure by next year or the year after, I'll have to flush the whole thing out which, I can guarantee you, won't be a fun task :p
I used to make compost tea for my plants, but I now I use fish tank water; rich is organic matter. Great fertiliser!

When I build my new enclosures, I'm considering putting in some underwater filtration grids. I'm planing on also putting gravel under it, so dirt won't sift through and the torts can't dig it up.

May, Aussies, & THBs