Topsoil and Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I'm thinking about switching my red foots and Russians from cypress mulch to topsoil and moss mix.

Think this will be cool?

If so, does Lowes sell sphagnum moss?

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I have housed my Redfoots on topsoil, I did not add sphagnum, I found that it packed down quite hard. I do a lot of gardening and sphagnum breaks down fairly quickly, so I am not sure how long it will keep the medium fluffly. If your redfoots are not adults it may be fine for a longer period of time.

The Lowes by me does sell sphagnum, but it is pretty expensive for a small bag so I guess it would depend on how big an enclosure your are replacing the bedding in.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I ended up finding sphagnumn peat moss (it has the texture of coconut coir). I figured it was worth a try, and if all else fails, it'll be great to use outside.

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
So the problem with Peat Moss is that when it gets dry it turns into a superfine dust and covers everything and travels all over the house :)

I setup a few enclosures with it but would not again, if you are good at keeping it moist it will probably be okay, but for my guys it was drying out and it is very hard to get it hydrated again.

Otherwise it was a decent substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.