Top soil?

decker91

have an adult Russian indoor on an open table currently using Coconut fiber can I add in top soil as well and does top soil produce gnats?

Maitaimommy

Location (City and/or State)
Hi decker 91,

I'm using the same substrate for my Russian. Have you tried timothy or alfalfa hay?
I'm all about mixing it up. I'm not a fan of sand and not sure about soil. Good question!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Trouble is with topsoil is that you don't always know what's in it. Not just chemicals but which plants are used to make it. Some of them may be toxic to tortoises.
Hay is dusty and if wetted can go moldy.
Sand can cause impaction.
If you need something other than coir, fine chopped orchid bark is a good alternative . And buying this from a garden centre is much cheaper than doing so from a pet shop.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi decker 91,

I'm using the same substrate for my Russian. Have you tried timothy or alfalfa hay?
I'm all about mixing it up. I'm not a fan of sand and not sure about soil. Good question!

Hay does not make good substrate. It is far too dry and desiccating and it molds when it gets wet, which should happen every day if the tortoise is using its water bowl as it should be. The substrate should be kept damp so that the tortoise will have some moderate humidity in our dry indoor enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
have an adult Russian indoor on an open table currently using Coconut fiber can I add in top soil as well and does top soil produce gnats?

Top soil or any other substrate does not produce gnats. Those are substrate flies and they come from the surrounding environment. Our heated and humid enclosure make a perfect breeding, living and feeding area for them. These will show up eventually no matter what substrate is used. Luckily, they are harmless detrivores. I just ignore them.

I find coco coir to be too messy for adult russians. And as Adam pointed out, there is no way to know what composted yard waste the buy-in-the-bag soil from the store is made of. Could be harmless, or it could be oleander and chemically treated grass clippings.

The best substrate for adult russians is fine grade orchid bark.

Maitaimommy

Variety is always good with torts and ppl lol. Don't worry too much about mixing substrates:)